Grants and Other Financial Assistance Programs: FY2013
Alternative Education Program for Suspended, Expelled, and Other At-Risk Students - Continuation
Fund Code: 790-A
|Purpose: ||The purpose of this state-funded continuation grant program is to help school districts continue or expand middle school and high school level district and inter-district Alternative Education programs that serve students who are:
- suspended or expelled from school; and/or
- at-risk of educational failure due to truancy or dropping out of school.
|Priorities: ||Grants will be awarded to districts that propose programs with designs based upon empirically validated interventions (science/research-based strategies with proven effectiveness) that:
- educate students using the same academic standards and curriculum frameworks as used with all students;
- provide an opportunity for students to earn a high school diploma (for high school programs);
- have small class sizes that use engaging instruction, address individual learning styles, and provide a supportive environment;
- use flexible scheduling;
- use existing resources in school districts, educational collaboratives, community colleges, other agencies, service providers, and community-based organizations;
- use family-based approaches and self-improvement, behavior management, and life skills training to help provide students with tools to better manage their lives and attitudes;
- assist students and teachers during students' transition back to general education classrooms;
- provide a comprehensive array of social services to support students with issues that can cause school failure, excessive absenteeism, truancy, and dropping out of school; and
- use pre- and post-evaluative data in program development and assessment of program outcomes.
|Eligibility: || Eligible entities are public school districts that received a FY2012 Fund Code: 790-A continuation grant and had an associated original grant award through Fund Code: 790 in FY2009. The following are the school districts that meet this criteria:
- Boston Day and Evening Academy Charter School
- Fall River Public Schools
- Lawrence Public Schools
- Methuen Public Schools
|Funding: ||Due to limited state funds available in FY2013, continuation grant amounts are restricted to $24,035 per eligible school district|
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (Department) reserves the right to alter the award to each funded school district.
|Fund Use: ||Grant funds may be used for salaries for staff to coordinate the program, curriculum development, teacher stipends, consultants, substitutes, a range of approaches to address behavior issues, technology, travel, conferences, purchase of materials and supplies, printing, and reproduction of materials. |
These funds may not be used for programs exclusively serving students with disabilities or to supplant existing alternative education programs (not previously funded through Fund Code: 790).
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval through 6/30/2013 |
|Program Unit: ||College and Career Readiness |
|Contact:||Jenny Caldwell Curtin firstname.lastname@example.org |
|Phone Number:||(781) 338-6839|
|Date Due: ||Friday, February 15, 2013.|
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
Note: Proposals received earlier than the due date will be reviewed and processed on a rolling basis. Proposals must be submitted and approved before funded services may begin.
|Required Forms: ||
- Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
- Part II Workbook - Budget (II-A) and Budget Narrative (II-B)*
(Print and mail with the application all four budget and budget narrative pages. See important opening instructions below.)
- Part III - Required Program Information
- Grant Assurances
- Alternative Education Self-Evaluation Tool for FY12
|Submission Instructions: || Applicants must submit the complete application via email and via mail, following the instructions below:
- Email the complete application (without signatures) to: email@example.com
- Mail one (1) complete application with an originals signatures on Part I (Signature Page) and on the Grant Assurances page to:
Jenny Caldwell Curtin
College and Career Readiness
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906