Grants and Other Financial Assistance Programs: FY2014
The Massachusetts Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) Partnership Grant
Fund Code: 246
|Purpose: ||The purpose of The Massachusetts Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) Partnership Grant is to increase access to evidence-based professional development, including face-to-face and online training and technical assistance, products, services, and activities. This evidence-based professional development, provided by ESE and identified partners through a federally funded professional development grant, will enable Massachusetts educators to better serve students, ages 3-21, including students with disabilities, and their families. The five-year MTSS Partnership Grant will create model sites within each of the six regions in Massachusetts that demonstrate the systemic implementation of evidence-based practices within a tiered system of support.
This grant program supports the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's mission to prepare all students to succeed in the world that awaits them after high school by supporting the following agency goals:
- Strengthen curriculum, instruction, and assessment
- Improve educator effectiveness
- Use technology and data effectively to support student achievement
|Priorities: ||The priorities of this grant program build upon and enhance Massachusetts' system of professional development. Priorities include:
- Engaging educators in evidence-based professional development activities, provided by ESE and identified partners, in content areas that include Universal Design for Learning (UDL), Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS), Secondary Transition, Family Engagement, Social Emotional Needs of Children and Families in K-12 and in the Mixed Delivery System, Academic Content Areas, and District-level Structures and Supports;
- Supporting educators in the implementation of newly acquired evidence-based knowledge and skills; and
- Providing opportunities for educators and families from across the Commonwealth to observe the implementation of evidence-based practices within a tiered system of support at regional model sites.
|Eligibility: ||Eligibility is limited to districts that:
Priority will be give to Level 3 districts.
- Have a public preschool program
- Meet the federal definition of a high-needs LEA*
- Are not receiving specialized technical assistance as a Commissioner's District or a Level 4 district
*Please see the list of high-needs districts in Additional Information: Appendix B.
|Funding: ||A total of $92,958 is available for this grant program in FY14. Each district may apply for up to $15,493. The Department anticipates it will fund six districts to become model sites over the five-year grant period.
Anticipated available funding, Years 1-5:
|Grant year||Funds available per district|
|FY14 (7/1/13 - 6/30/14)||$15,493|
|FY15 (7/1/14 - 6/30/15)||$28,160|
|FY16 (7/1/15 - 6/30/16)||$31,826|
|FY17 (7/1/16 - 6/30/17)||$31,826|
|FY18 (7/1/17 - 9/30/17)||$5,493|
|Fund Use: ||Funds must be used for professional development activities related to The MTSS Partnership Grant.|
Funds may be used for:
Funds may not be used for:
- Stipends for educators
- Participating in and/or leading professional development activities, including Professional Learning Communities (PLCs)
- Participating in conferences, courses, summer institutes, or other professional development opportunities supported by The MTSS Partnership Grant
- Travel/mileage (related to The MTSS Partnership Grant professional development activities)
- Materials, supplies, and technology to support trainings or professional development (limited to 10% of the total award)
- Massachusetts Teachers' Retirement System (MTRS) (related to stipends only)
- Consultants (limited to 10% of the total award)
Materials for students
- Out-of-state travel
- Fringe benefits
- Food or beverages
- Indirect costs
|Project Duration: ||Year 1: 7/1/13 - 6/30/14|
|Program Unit: ||Office of Tiered System of Supports|
|Contact: ||Linda Tarmy firstname.lastname@example.org |
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-3380|
|Date Due: ||Monday, June 3, 2013|
Competitive proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
|Required Forms: ||
- Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
- Part II Budget Detail Pages (Include both pages.) - Instructions
- Part III - Required Program Information: Background Information and Program Overview
- Part IV - Program Application
- Part V - Assurance from Participating School District
- Part VI - Assurance from Participating School(s)
|Additional Information: ||
Please note that interviews will be required of finalists.
- Appendix A: Evaluation Scorecard
- Appendix B: List of Districts Meeting the Federal Definition of High-Needs LEA
- Appendix C: District-level Leadership Team Composition
- Appendix D: School-level Leadership Team Composition
- Appendix E: Submission Checklist (for district use prior to submission)
- Q&A Webinar will be held Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm
|Submission Instructions: ||
Email the following to email@example.com:
- Part II Budget Detail Pages
- Part IV Project Application
- Appendix C: District-level Team Composition, and
- Appendix D: School-level Team Composition (one for every school participating in Year 1 of the grant)
- Mail five (5) sets of the complete application package, including the above and all related assurance documents, to Linda Tarmy, three (3) with an original signature of the Superintendent.
Office of Tiered System of Supports
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906
This competitive proposal must be received at the Department by 5:00 pm on Monday, June 3, 2013.
For questions regarding submission, please contact Linda Tarmy at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 781.338.3380.