|Purpose: || The purpose of the Engaging All Students in Mathematical Thinking and Practices in CVTE Programs Institute grant is to support with Perkins federal funding regional efforts between school districts that develop and implement a project designed to systematically support professional development and curriculum development in mathematics through collaboration between special education service delivery and academic and vocational instruction. |
The goal of the Engaging All Students in Mathematical Thinking and Practices in CVTE Programs Institute is to provide vocational technical school teachers (i.e., special education, vocational, and academic staff) with knowledge, skills, and resources to target specific technical math skills and applications to support the improvement of educational outcomes for all students. The driving perspective of the Institute is the development and strategic implementation of a more collaborative system of teaching and learning mathematics between academic, special education, and vocational instruction.
Grantees will be expected to:
- Work in partnership with the regional District and School Assistance Center (DSAC) to facilitate professional learning across the partnership and region;
- Develop regional partnerships which, at a minimum, must include a Level 3 DSAC-served vocational technical school and the regional DSAC;
- Identify a vendor to coordinate and facilitate mathematics needs assessment, professional learning, and curriculum development; and
- Make available for dissemination any products produced in the Institute (e.g., lesson plans, activities, resources).
|Priorities: || Funding priorities will be for projects that demonstrate:
- Partnerships of multiple vocational technical schools;
- Partnership of vocational technical teachers, academic math teachers, and special education teachers;
- A process for identifying math concepts and skills that students must master to be successful in technical programs;
- Selection of a vendor with appropriate expertise;
- A viable timeline for needs assessment and training; and
- Appropriate use of funds.
|Eligibility: || The following (6) Level 3 DSAC-served vocational technical schools and districts:
Districts may apply on behalf of partnerships that include at least one vocational technical school and its regional DSAC.
- Franklin County Regional Vocational Technical
- Greater Lawrence Regional Vocational Technical
- Greater Lowell Regional Vocational Technical
- Northampton-Smith Vocational Agricultural
- Southeastern Regional Vocational Technical
- Westfield Public Schools (Westfield Vocational High School)
|Funding: || Total funds available through this grant are $90,000. Funding is from the federal Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act (Perkins IV).|
Eligible districts may submit proposals on behalf of partnerships for approximately $15,000 per participating district.
|Fund Use: ||Funds must be used in accordance with this RFP, the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act of 2006 P.L. 109-270, and the Massachusetts Perkins IV Manual.|
The project parameters include the development and implementation of specific mathematical applications in technical labs and related classrooms.
Allowable expenditures include, but are not limited to: (1) stipends for local educators to assist with the development, coordination and/or implementation of the project/activity; (2) project materials; (3) travel; and (4) costs of substitutes, if necessary, to develop or implement the project/activity.
Fund use must not conflict with Perkins IV and the Massachusetts Perkins IV Manual posted at The Perkins Act webpage.
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval - 6/30/2014 |
|Program Unit: ||Office for Career/Vocational Technical Education|
|Contact: || Margie Roberts email@example.com |
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-3951|
|Due Date: ||Letter of Intent to Apply: July 12, 2013|
Grant Application (Proposal): Friday, July 19, 2013
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
|Required Forms: ||
- Letter of Intent to apply for this grant (may be emailed to Margie Roberts firstname.lastname@example.org) by July 12, 2013.
- Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
- Part II Budget Detail Pages (Include both pages.) - Instructions
- Part III - Required Program Information
- Partnership contact information and Schedule C Commitment Form
- Project Final Report
|Additional Information: ||Each grant recipient must complete a Project Final Report to be submitted no later than Friday, December 12, 2014 prior to 5:00 p.m. |
|Submission Instructions: ||Submit three (3) sets of the required forms, each with an original signature of the Superintendent/Executive Director.|
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Office for Career/Vocational Technical Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906