Adult and Community Learning Services (ACLS)
SMARTT Update, June, 2012
NRS Webinars Regarding Changes for FY13
Be sure to register for one of the webinars on June 8th to review the NRS changes for FY13. Register for one of these times.
- 1:00 - 2:00 PM
- 2:00 - 3:00 PM
- 3:00 - 4:00 PM
In preparation for the webinars, please read the materials posted on the NRS website and the Questions and Answers posted on our ACLS website.
Student Intake Form for FY13
With the help of input from many of you, the student intake form has been revised. The revised student intake form will be posted on our ACLS website shortly. You'll notice that we have shortened the form. Most notably, the current occupation list has been replaced with a briefer list of the 23 major groups from the "Standard Occupational Classification" user guide. We are in the process of mapping the current occupations entered to these new 23 major groups.
- Business and Financial Operations
- Computer and Mathematical
- Architecture and Engineering
- Life, Physical, and Social Science
- Community and Social Service
- Education, Training, and Library
- Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technical
- Healthcare Support
- Protective Service
- Food Preparation and Serving
- Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance
- Personal Care and Service
- Sales and Related
- Office and Administrative Support
- Farming, Fishing, and Forestry
- Construction and Extraction
- Installation, Maintenance, and Repair
- Transportation and Material Moving
- Military Specific
Student Goal Form for FY13
The revised student goal form will be posted on our ACLS website shortly. Changes have been made to the occupational goals so that follow-up will be easier. We have combined the current occupation goals with timeframes into one goal. The current unmet occupational goals listed below will be mapped to the new goal.
|CURRENT GOALS|| ||NEW GOAL|
|Enter Occupational Training < 6 months|
Enter Occupational Training 6-12 months
Enter Occupational Training
| ------> ||Enter Occupational Training > 12months|
We have taken out the retain and complete occupational goals:
- Retain Occupational Training > 12mo
- Complete Occupational Training < 6 months
- Complete Occupational Training 6-12 months.
- Complete Occupational Training > 12 months
Partial Intakes --- Available on July 1
The partial intake feature will be available on July 1st. The purpose of the partial intake feature is to allow programs to enter a small amount of information for newly enrolled ABE students during the summer in order to generate a SMARTT ID and thus allow the ABE student to take the MAPT test. Partial intakes should not be entered for any other reasons. Once sites are rolled over to FY13 on September 1st, the partial intake feature is no longer needed or available. Programs should convert these newly created partials to full intakes as soon as possible after site rollover.
Site Rollover Link Now Available
The site rollover link is now available so that programs can review the site rollover report to make sure that all the FY12 information is updated. This report will help programs determine whether student goal, assessment, and attendance data needs to be updated. Remember that the report always lists only current students at the site. When you exit a student from the site, you verify that all the information has been updated. One new section was added this year for programs to indicate if the site is continuing into the next fiscal year.
The sections of the site rollover report are listed below and data should be reviewed in this sequence:
- Unenrolled Classes: lists classes with no enrollments this fiscal year
- Unenrolled Students: lists students who have never been enrolled in any classes or volunteer matches this fiscal year
- Inactive Student Attendance: lists students who have been enrolled in classes or volunteer matches and no attendance has been entered
- Inactive Student Assessments: lists names for each assessment area where data has not been updated/reviewed since May 1st
- Inactive Student Goals: lists names for each goal area where data has not been updated/reviewed since May 1st
- Inactive Follow-up Goals: lists names for each follow-up goal area where data has not been updated/reviewed since May 1st
- Active Staff: lists staff names who were active and had salary records
- Professional Development Activities: lists staff names who participated in trainings/activities offered by providers other than SABES (participation in SABES trainings and activities is entered directly by SABES rather than by the participating program)
- Transition Students: College Courses: lists college courses taken during the calendar year
The report has functionality to track the student goal and assessment data that has been reviewed. When you review the list of student assessments and goals and check off the box next to the student name, you can save that list. Click on the button at the top of the report labeled "Save Current Work". The report will then show the list of names that still need to be reviewed.
The next time you access the report, you will get the "Working" version which is the list of remaining students to review. You should keep reviewing each student's assessment and goal information until no names appear on this list. If, at any time, you want to go back to see the original list, you can click on the "Original" button at the top of the report. You still have the option to click on the "Working" button to list the students who still need to be reviewed to verify that the information is updated and accurate. This functionality helps programs go through the list of names without having to record the information on paper.
When you are ready to submit the site rollover request at the end of the fiscal year, no names should appear in the assessment or goals section. Site rollover requests must be submitted by September 1st. If names appear, you will need to check off each remaining box indicating your review of the data before you can submit the request for site rollover. The request indicates that all the information contained within this report is true and accurate and does not need to be updated or corrected. This checkbox is equivalent to the Program Coordinator's Signature.
GED Matching - Match Completed on 5/18/2012 and 6/1/2012
The previous GED data match with Oklahoma Scoring Service was completed on 5/18/2012. One hundred and fifty one (151 ) records were matched for students who attended classes in FY12. Out of this, one hundred and thirty seven (137) students set the goal which is 91%. Fourteen (14 ) students or 9% did not set the goal and will not be included in the Federal Report.
The latest GED data match with Oklahoma Scoring Service was completed on 6/1/2012. One hundred and forty (140) records were matched for students who attended classes in FY12. Out of this, one hundred and twenty four (124) students set the goal which is 89%. Sixteen (16) students or 11% did not set the goal and will not be included in the Federal Report.
If you find that a student received the GED from another state and you have documentation, please e-mail Donna Cornellier (email@example.com) so that the date met can be updated in the student's record. If the student received the GED from a testing center in Massachusetts and the record was not updated in SMARTT, please contact Ruth Derfler (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can determine why the record was not updated and therefore manually update the information. Please provide the following information: student name, date of birth, and GED credential date, and social security number if provided.
SMARTT/Cognos Trainings and Support
- SMARTT Update - Ending the Fiscal Year (Boston), June 13, 2012 from 09:30 -11:30 at ALRI (University of Massachusetts/Boston)
The training will focus on tips for ending the fiscal year and using the site rollover report. This training will be held face to face at the ALRI (UMass Boston) and also on a limited basis via Distance Learning (DL) at the same time. If you want to attend via DL please indicate this preference in the "Accommodations" field of the registration form. The registration deadline is Jun 11, 2012 at 4:00 PM
- SMARTT Update - Ending the Fiscal Year/Site Rollover (Northeast), June 14, 2012 from 1:00 - 3:00
The training will be conducted online, synchronously. Participants should have either an external microphone attached to their computer to communicate or be able to use your phone. An internet connection is required. You do not need to have a webcam. You will be using "Join.me" to view this training. The link and dial-in number will be emailed to registrants a day or so before the workshop.
The registration deadline is Jun 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM. The maximum attendance is ten.
- Please note that there are two statewide distance learning Cognos trainings available.
- DL: Intro to Cognos
- DL: Cognos Update -- Accessing Performance Standard Reports
You can register on the SABES Calendar by clicking on the register icon on workshop title on the SABES calendar.
If you need SMARTT / Cognos help, please send an email to email@example.com. Please do not contact the SABES field technologists or the SMARTT team directly for assistance. For an email request, be sure to include a clear subject header. You do not need to include detailed information in the initial email to smartthelp. A short subject is adequate because once you send an email; you will receive an auto-response containing a link to a form. Please fill out this form completely and hit the "Submit" button at the end. You will be contacted either by phone or email shortly afterwards by a SABES field technologist if he/she needs further information. Or, if you like, go directly to SMARTT technical assistance webpage to access the form to cut out the intermediate step of emailing.
Questions? Please contact Donna Cornellier at firstname.lastname@example.org