Adult and Community Learning Services (ACLS)
SMARTT Update, September 2013
SMARTT System in FY14 -- September 5th at 6:30 PM
The SMARTT system was officially moved to FY14 on Thursday, September 5th at 6:30 PM. All sites with approved program plans AND those that submitted the site rollover request will ere moved to FY14. Additional sites will be immediately moved to FY14 once the site rollover request is submitted and the program plan for FY14 is approved. If the approved program plan is revised and submitted at a later date, make sure to note the changes for your Program Specialist for approval since the changes/updates need to be made manually. Make sure that you use the "Class Completion" screen to set-up your classes so that you can enroll students and enter attendance. Once the classes are completed, they will appear in the ABE Directory under "Class Schedule".
Convert Partial Intakes to Full Intakes
Programs must convert all partial intakes that were created in July and August to full intakes so that newly enrolled students could take the MAPT test. If the student left prior to MAPT testing, please delete the partial intake. The MAPT scores will not appear in the student assessment screen or the assessment reports until the partial intake has been converted to a full intake. Partial intakes can be deleted if no tests were administered using that SMARTT ID.
NRS Cohort Screen -Taken Down Temporarily
We have found some issues with displaying accurate information on the NRS Cohort Screen so it has been down temporarily until we are sure it is accurate. You will be able to enter NRS Cohort information for students who exited this fiscal year until December 1st when we prepare our annual submission the National Reporting System. We will notify users via the SMARTT listserv when the NRS Cohort Screen is available.
Steps to Start the New Fiscal Year
The steps to start the new fiscal year have been posted on the SMARTT section of the ACLS website at http://www.doe.mass.edu/acls/smartt/. Please review the steps to make sure all your information is updated and accurate.
Agency, Project, and Site
- Update agency, project, and site basic information
- Update project and site coordinator names and work e-mails to ensure that ACLS notifications are sent to the right staff (if this is not updated, crucial news and notifications will not reach them)
- Convert partial intakes to full intakes -- partial intakes for MAPT testing are not allowed after the site has rolled over to new fiscal year
- Remove partial intakes if no tests were taken in the partial intake record
- Enter new students and make sure to use the look-up icon located next to the "Last Name" field to ensure that duplicates are not created
- Enter intakes at least monthly and review the data entry schedule below
- Check the Welcome Screen to view the link labeled "Other Site Assessments" which displays the list of co-enrolled students who took tests at other sites. There are 2 panels for current and exited students. Programs can view the list and drill down to the assessment screen to view tests for individual students. Programs can decide if they want to set the primary area for the test. There is a column that shows if the primary area has been set. This feature will help programs determine if dually enrolled students need to have another assessment administered immediately.
- Enter assessments and set the primary area (Note: students can be enrolled in classes without an assessment in the primary area, but attendance cannot be entered until the primary assessment area is indicated).
- If appropriate, select and copy over any May/June assessments administered in the previous fiscal year for returning students if a new test has not been administered. You will see a box in the first column under the copy icon next to the May/June test. Click on the box and hit "Save" and the test will be copied to the next fiscal year. The copied scores will be pre-tests for the new fiscal year and will be color coded to indicate they were copied. They will be listed with a 7/1 date.
- Enter goals
- Update all current student information
Note: All students who were not exited from the site are still listed as current students. You should exit students who are no longer current in your program. Remember - if students return at any time, they will still be in the database. When a student does return, select the "Exited" status on the "Student Search" screen to display the list of exited students. Then click on the student name and select "Reintake Student" and the student information will be retrieved from the database. Some information will need to be updated, but most of the information will still be relevant.
- Add new staff - enter basic information and salary information
- Edit salary information for current staff if necessary
- Enter staff salary information for staff who were not listed in the latest approved staff plan
- Ensure that duplicates are not created when staff transfer from other agencies
- Update the work e-mail field for all staff to ensure that ACLS notifications are sent to correct staff
- Add professional development activities for staff who attended trainings other than those provided by SABES
- Use the Post Planning-Class Completion screen to "complete" the classes generated from the Program Plan and enter the following:
- Basic Information - subject, language, and instructional method
- Monthly schedule - hours per month (review a calendar carefully to exclude vacations and non instructional periods)
- Assign instructors to classes
- Enroll students in classes -- note that students may be enrolled without a primary assessment area or a primary goal, but attendance cannot be entered until a primary assessment is entered
- Enter class attendance - at least monthly and review the data entry schedule below
- Wait List
- Update wait list information --- add or delete students
- Submit wait list verification by December 1st of each year --- verify that the numbers on the wait list are accurate for these time periods: < 1 year; 1-2 years; 2-3 years; and > 3 years
- Volunteers and Matches
- Add new volunteers
- Create new matches
- Enter match attendance -- at least monthly and review the attendance lockout calendar
- Assign new students to existing matches if necessary
- Enter match attendance for new and continuing matches at least monthly for both the volunteer and the student - review the data entry schedule below
- Assign volunteers to classes if they are in-class assistants
- Enter attendance in the class screen for in-class assistants by changing the "Type" filter in the "Class Attendance" screen from "Students" to "In-Class Assistants"
- Dissolve matches that ended
Data Entry Schedule:
|FY13 Monthly Attendance||Month/Day Data Entry Closed|
|July & August||October 31st|
Please remember that the data entry policy allows an additional month for July data to be entered. July intakes and attendance data must be entered by October 31st.
GED Matching - Data Match Completed on 8/6/2013
The latest GED data match with Oklahoma Scoring Service was completed on 8/6/2013. Five hundred and twenty six (526) records were matched for students who attended classes in FY13.Remember that students who took all five subject area GED tests and who exited between 7/1/2012 and 6/30/2013 are included in this cohort. No follow-up is required for this cohort since we data match with Oklahoma Scoring Services.
If you find that a student did receive the GED and the record was not updated in SMARTT, please e-mail Ruth Derfler (email@example.com) to determine what data element was incorrect so that the student's record can be corrected.
Performance Standards Reports for FY13 -- will be released in Cognos in mid September
The performance standards reports for Community Adult Learning Centers and ABE programs in Correctional Institutions will be released in Cognos in mid September. No changes were made to the criteria for FY13.
Changes in NRS Reporting Period for Entry Into Postsecondary Education or Training Measure
The time period for reporting the entry into postsecondary measure has been extended to two years. Under the new requirements, the reporting period for this measure will be from the time the learner exits to the end of the following program year. For example, for students entering in FY 2013, the reporting period will extend through the end of FY2014 (i.e., June 30, 2014). The reporting periods for collecting the other follow-up measures, entered and retained employment and attained secondary credential, are unchanged.
Student Population and Collection Time for Core Follow-up Measures
|Core Outcome Measure||Student Population To Include||Time Period To Collect Measures|
|Entered employment||Learners unemployed at entry and in the labor force who exit||First quarter after exit quarter*|
|Retained employment||Learners unemployed at entry in the labor force who exit and are employed during first quarter after exit; and learners employed at entry who exit||Third quarter after exit quarter|
|Placement in postsecondary education or training||Learners who earned a secondary credential while enrolled, have a secondary credential at entry or who are enrolled in a class specifically designed for transition to postsecondary education who exit||Any time after exit through the end of the program year (June 30) following the year of program exit.|
|Receipt of secondary diploma or GED||Learners who take all GED tests, are enrolled in adult high school at the high ASE level or are enrolled in the assessment phase of the EDP who exit.||Any time after exit to the end of the reporting period (December 31)|
* For all measures, exit quarter is the quarter when the learner completes instruction or has not received instruction for 90 days and has no instruction scheduled. A job obtained while the student is enrolled can be counted but must be reported and measured during the first quarter after exiting the program if the student remains employed in that quarter.
SMARTT Training Schedule
Here are the upcoming trainings, register on the SABES Calendar by clicking on the register icon on workshop title on the SABES calendar.
September 3 - September 26
DL: SMARTT New User Training (online) CLOSED - another DL offering will be held in November and a face to face training will be held in Boston in late September or early October
September 1 - September 25
DL: Cognos Update: Performance Standards Reports (online)
SMARTT Update: Starting the New Year (Boston)
09:00 am - 11:00 pm
SMARTT Update: Starting the New Year - DL
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Intro to Cognos (West)
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
If you need SMARTT / Cognos help, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not contact the SABES field technologists or the SMARTT team directly for assistance. For an email request, be sure to include a clear subject header. You do not need to include detailed information in the initial email to smartthelp. A short subject is adequate because once you send an email; you will receive an auto-response containing a link to a form. Please fill out this form completely and hit the "Submit" button at the end. You will be contacted either by phone or email shortly afterwards by a SABES field technologist if he/she needs further information. Or, if you like, go directly to SMARTT or Cognos technical assistance page to access the form to cut out the intermediate step of emailing.
Questions? Please contact Donna Cornellier at email@example.com