Unexpected rewards of a career in education
Teaching is both an art and science. It is the most difficult, most rewarding, and most important of careers. To help energize and diversify our educational workforce and keep striving for high educational standards, Massachusetts offers a variety of incentives. These added benefits attract those looking to enter the field and current educators looking to advance their careers. Incentives are offered at the local, state, and federal level.
Some incentives that help people be aMAzing Educators.
- Teacher Incentives and Loan Cancellation/Deferment for Teachers: Massachusetts and the federal government offer incentives for aspiring teachers, tuition waivers for educators looking to advance their careers, and loan forgiveness, cancellation, and discharge..
- Educator Recognition Programs : There are different recognition programs for educators, which vary depending on grade levels and subjects taught. While all classroom teachers should be recognized on a daily basis at their individual schools, the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education annually honors exemplary educators through various recognition programs, including Massachusetts Teacher of the Year, Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) and the History Teacher of the Year Program.
- National Board Certification: The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards is an independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that operates a national, voluntary system to assess and certify teachers who meet high and rigorous standards of accomplished teaching. Districts may offer additional incentives for National Board Certified educators as well as provide subsidies for the costs associated with the certification.
- Teacher Incentive Fund (TIF) :TIF is a federal grant program that supports participating districts by offering highly qualified teachers additional compensation and benefits to work in the lowest performing schools. TIF is currently available in Springfield, MA.
- Potential Educator Discounts within your Community: Local businesses and large retail chains often provide discounts on products and services for educators. Some examples include discounts on purchases at office supply or crafts stores, as well as discounts on your personal cell phone plan. Additional discounts and incentives may be available through your local union or association. When purchasing supplies for your classroom, be sure to ask and show your school ID card.