Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Go to Selected Program Area
Massachusetts State Seal
News School/District Profiles School/District Administration Educator Services Assessment/Accountability Family & Community  

aMAzing Educators

Requirements and Licensure

Professional Support Personnel Requirements

Professional support personnel are licensed professionals in the Commonwealth. The Department issues the following professional support personnel licenses: School Guidance Counselor, School Nurse, School Psychologist, School Social Worker, and School Adjustment Counselor. In order to receive a formal evaluation to determine your specific requirements, you must apply for a license.

3 types of license:

  • Initial
  • Professional
  • Temporary

Initial: An Initial license is valid for 5 years of employment (with the option of extending it for 5 additional years) and generally requires possession of a bachelor's degree, passing the appropriate Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTELs), and the completion of a traditional post-baccalaureate (master's) approved program or, in some cases, an internal panel review. Each professional support personnel license also has additional requirements specific to their field.

Professional: Employment for at least 3 years under your Initial license and completed an induction program is required for a Professional license. In addition, each professional support personnel license has requirements specific to their field. A Professional license is valid for 5 calendar years.

Temporary: If you are an experienced teacher from another state, you may be eligible for a Temporary license (valid for 1 calendar year). Teachers with at least three years of experience under a license equivalent to the Initial license may qualify for a Temporary license, which allows you to teach while completing any additional requirements for an Initial license.

Helpful Resources

View Educator Information
Last Updated: March 12, 2015

E-mail this page| Print View| Print Pdf
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Search · Public Records Requests · Site Index · Policies · Site Info · Contact ESE