Why Teach in a Turnaround School?
Do you have what it takes to help a school turnaround? Turnaround Schools need a special kind of teacher - one who brings energy and passion to classrooms with the greatest need of improvement. Turnaround School teachers have a unique set of skills, including:
- A relentless commitment to high achievement for all students
- A record of success in helping students make significant academic progress
- A proven capacity for building strong relationships with students, families, and the community
- Deep familiarity with teaching methods, curriculum, materials, educational technology, learning styles and classroom management
- A constant drive to improve their professional skills
- The ability to thrive in diverse, multicultural settings
- An aptitude for working collaboratively with school leadership and colleagues to help foster a culture of teamwork
Additional professional benefits:
- As part of the School Redesign Team, you have numerous opportunities to participate in a historical school transformation. You can also change the lives of students who need the most help.
- You work with colleagues and students to elevate your school from "underperforming" to one of academic excellence.
- In many instances, additional time is provided for collaboration, planning, and professional development, plus the opportunity to mentor new teachers.
- In some districts, pilot programs offer extra compensation for additional responsibilities, as well as school-wide bonuses based on student results and career advancement opportunities.
- Turnaround Schools receive additional funding, resources, and services. For example, social-emotional and wraparound services help you reach and teach your students more effectively.