FY20 Additional Charter School Aid
Starting in January, many school districts will receive additional charter school tuition reimbursements under two legislative appropriations (state budget line item 7061-9010):
- A supplemental budget for fiscal year 2019, enacted in December 2019, provides $5 million in additional funding for charter school tuition reimbursements. These funds will be allocated based on fiscal year 2019 charter tuition costs and will be added to each eligible district's fiscal year 2020 charter reimbursement.
- The fiscal year 2020 budget earmarked $7.5 million in funding for school districts to mitigate the costs associated with significant and sustained charter school enrollment growth. Eligibility for these funds will be based on meeting all of the following criteria:
- The district must have more students enrolled in charter schools as of October 1, 2019 than were enrolled in fiscal year 2015;
- The district must have 25 or more students enrolled in charter schools as of October 1, 2019;
- The district must have had average annual charter school enrollment growth of at least 4.5% over the past 5 years;
- Either: (1) the district's total charter enrollment as of October 1, 2019 is at least 4.5% of the district's fiscal year 2020 foundation enrollment, or (2) the district's charter tuition growth (net of aid) between fiscal year 2015 and fiscal year 2020 is at least 4% of the district's fiscal year 2020 foundation budget.
Eligible districts will receive one-time enrollment mitigation aid equal to 5.2% of their charter tuition growth (net of aid) between fiscal year 2015 and fiscal year 2020, with maximum awards of $1.5 million. Unlike other elements of charter school tuition reimbursement, enrollment mitigation aid will not be adjusted based on enrollment changes between now and the end of the fiscal year.
Questions regarding charter school tuition and reimbursements may be addressed to Rob O'Donnell at (781) 338-6512 or or Hadley Cabral in School Finance at (781) 338-6586 or firstname.lastname@example.org. email@example.com