Example Assessments for use as District-Determined Measures
ESE, in partnership with WestEd, presents the following collection of assessments appropriate for use as District-Determined Measures (DDMs). These assessments were selected by WestEd as examples because they are aligned with critical content, as identified by the Core Course Objectives (CCOs) and/or the appropriate Massachusetts Curriculum Framework, and reviewed to ensure overall quality. This list is not exhaustive, and districts may use other assessments as District-Determined Measures.
Each assessment has been grouped into one of three approaches based on its intended primary use: Borrowing, Building, or Buying.
- Borrowing: intact measures (e.g., a scoring rubric for a performance task) that are available to the public at no cost and do not require permission to use; a district pursuing this option would identify one or more existing open source assessments that closely align to the local curriculum.
- Building: released items, item pools, or sample items that a district can use to create customized tests for a particular grade or course; a district pursuing this option would identify items from multiple sources that can be used as a starting place for building a new district-specific DDM.
- Buying: commercial assessments that can be purchased from a vendor; a district pursuing this option would purchase measures closely aligned to local curricula.
Please note: Reference in this web site to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public, and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
|Full List of Example Assessments|
This table provides a complete list of the example assessments. Additional overview documents, organized by assessment approach and alphabetically by assessment name, are available on this page.
|Example Assessments by Pilot Area|
Example assessments have been identified in the five required pilot areas. The documents for each pilot area include:
- One-page summaries of each assessment, grouped by pilot area
- Collections of CCOs generated by educators, grouped by grade level or course. Note: CCOs were identified for a subset of grades/subjects and courses.
|K-3 Literacy||K-3 Math|
K-3 Literacy Assessments
K-3 Literacy CCOs
K-3 Math Assessments
K-3 Math CCOs
|5-8 Math||High School Writing to Text|
5-8 Math Assessments
5-8 Math CCOs
Writing to Text Assessments
Writing to Text CCOs
|Other Subjects and Courses|
These assessments include both traditionally tested and non-tested grades. Districts may choose to select a DDM that meets the traditionally non-tested grade/subject or course minimum pilot requirement from this collection.
ELA Literacy Assessments
|History and Social Sciences||Science and Technology|
History & Social Studies Assessments
History & Social Studies CCOs
Science and Technology Assessments
Science and Technology CCOs
Arts Literacy Assessments
Foreign Language Assessments
Foreign Language CCOs
Comprehensive Health Assessments
Comprehensive Health CCOs
|Communications & Information Sciences|
Other Subjects Assessments
Other Subjects CCOs