English Language Learners
The state sponsors a limited amount of professional development opportunities every year. You may find information on these offerings in the following places:
- Online Learning Opportunities
- RETELL: all Information regarding Rethinking Equity and Teaching for English Language Learners (RETELL)
- ESE's PD page: General information about professional development (PD), such as PD standards, registered providers, as well as other tools and resources.
- Current OELAAA Offerings
- WIDA Standards in Action, November 2930, 2016, in Holyoke
- WIDA Engaging ELs in Science, December 67, 2016, in Burlington
- WIDA Purposeful Lesson Planning for English Learners, January 2324, 2017, in Rockland
- WIDA Purposeful Lesson Planning for English Learners, March 1314, 2017, in Holyoke
- WIDA Standards in Action, May 2425 2017, in New Bedford
- WIDA Engaging ELs in Science, June 2829, 2017, in Osterville
Districts and individual educators are encouraged to seek additional PD offerings tailored to their particular needs. Each district may obtain additional trainings by hiring independent consultants based on their own training and professional development needs.
If you are looking for additional trainings, here are some options. The Department does not offer financial reimbursement of any kind to anyone participating in the options below. Districts and individuals may independently contract:
- WIDA Professional Development staff
- Local Professionally-Certified WIDA Trainers
- Department Registered PD Providers
- Extending the Learning: ESE provides districts, schools, collaboratives, and individual educators information about well-designed avenues to extend SEI learning and practice. This site provides a registry of SEI-related courses which have been reviewed and approved for promotion here by experts in the Department. This listing provides descriptions of approved offerings, as well as contact information through which districts, schools and educators can contact the course providers. Individual educators may use this site to locate course offerings, and find course registration information so they can sign up for courses that will meet their professional development needs and interests.
Some helpful organizations for professional development related to ELLs:
MATSOL (Massachusetts Association of Teachers of Speakers of Other Languages)
MABE (Massachusetts Association of Bilingual Speakers)
* Note that districts are not limited to the State's Registered PD Providers or approved courses.