Green Ribbon Schools
Launched by the U.S. Department of Education in 2011, the Green Ribbon Schools recognition program honors schools and districts that are exemplary in reducing environmental impact and costs, improving the health and wellness of students and staff, and delivering effective environmental and sustainability education that incorporates Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), civic skills, and green career pathways. Each year, Massachusetts selects one or more schools or districts to honor at the state level; those honorees are then elevated to the U.S. Department of Education where they will have the opportunity to be honored as a national Green Ribbon School/District.
2020 Green Ribbon Schools — Applications due Friday, January 17, 2020
The 2020 Green Ribbon Schools program is taking applications now through Friday, January 17, 2020. The 2020 application is now available. A panel comprised of DESE staff, Massachusetts School Building Authority staff, and statewide environmental education organizations will score the applications and award schools and districts in the following categories:
- Massachusetts Green Ribbon Schools: These honorees are elevated to the national level.
- Massachusetts Green Ribbon State Finalists: For exemplary submissions
- Massachusetts Green Ribbon Schools Sustained Excellence Awards: For former United States Green Ribbon Schools/Districts who continue to improve.
- Massachusetts Green Ribbon Schools: Honorable Mention
Applicants may find helpful the rubric we use to score submissions, samples of winning submissions, and other useful information below.
Past Winners from Massachusetts
- Littleton Public Schools (District Award)
- Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School
- Hingham Public School District, Hingham High School
- Cambridge Public Schools (District Award)
- Boston Public Schools, Boston Latin School
- Manchester-Essex Regional School District, Manchester-Essex Regional Middle High School
- Quincy School District, Quincy High School
- Acton-Boxborough Regional School District (District Award)
- The Berkshire School in Sheffield, MA (private)
For more information, please contact:
, Acting Chief Strategy and Research Officer at DESE. Matthew Deninger