Mathematics Curriculum Framework - November 2000
Learning Standards by Grade Span for Grades PreK-6
Number Sense and Operations
- Count by ones to at least 20.
- Match quantities up to at least 10 with numerals and words.
- Identify positions of objects in sequences (e.g., first, second) up to fifth.
- Compare sets of up to at least 10 concrete objects using appropriate language (e.g., none, more than, fewer than, same number of, one more than), and order numbers.
- Understand the concepts of whole and half.
- Identify U.S. coins by name.
- Use objects and drawings to model and solve related addition and subtraction problems to ten.
- Estimate the number of objects in a group and verify results.
Patterns, Relations, and Algebra
- Identify the attributes of objects as a foundation for sorting and classifying, e.g., a red truck, a red block, and a red ball share the attribute of being red; a square block, a square cracker, and a square book share the attribute of being square shaped.
- Sort and classify objects by color, shape, size, number, and other properties.
- Identify, reproduce, describe, extend, and create color, rhythmic, shape, number, and letter repeating patterns with simple attributes, e.g., ABABAB....
- Count by fives and tens at least up to 50.
- Name, describe, sort, and draw simple two-dimensional shapes.
- Describe attributes of two-dimensional shapes, e.g., number of sides, number of corners.
- Name and compare three-dimensional shapes.
- Identify positions of objects in space, and use appropriate language (e.g., beside, inside, next to, close to, above, below, apart) to describe and compare their relative positions.
- Recognize and compare the attributes of length, volume/capacity, weight, area, and time using appropriate language, e.g., longer, taller, shorter, same length; heavier, lighter, same weight; holds more, holds less, holds the same amount.
- Make and use estimates of measurements from everyday experiences.
- Use nonstandard units to measure length, area, weight, and capacity.
Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability
- Collect, sort, organize, and draw conclusions about data using concrete objects, pictures, numbers, and graphs.
Next Page >
Learning Standards for Grades 1-2