Science and Technology/Engineering
Additional Activities to Enhance the Learning Standards
In this Appendix are additional activities to enhance the learning standards. Activities in regular type are Ideas for Developing Investigations and Learning Experiences, those in italics are Suggested Extensions to Learning in Technology/Engineering.
- Use a variety of objects. Identify at least the main material the object is made of, e.g., wood, metal, paper, pottery/ceramic, plastic, glass. Discuss the function of the object and its parts. Discuss how the properties of the materials used are suited to the function of the overall object or some part of it.
- Observe several common objects, discuss the different materials that they are made of, and the reasons that those specific materials may have been used. (T/E 1.1)
- Design and build a simple game using simple circuits. (T/E 1.2, 2.2)
- Design and construct a simple game or toy (prototype) that works because of electromagnets. (T/E 1.1, 1.2, 2.2, 2.3)
- Provide sealed field detectors (iron filings confined between sheets of plastic or iron filings sealed in oil). Use to show and draw magnetic fields in two and three dimensions.
- Design and build a periscope from cardboard and mirrors. (T/E 1.1, 1.2, 2.3)
- Design and build a pinhole camera. Test the effects of light on light sensitive paper. (T/E 1.2, 2.3)