The purpose of this grant program is to provide supplemental funding for RTTT districts Years 1-4 to assist districts in the building of the Schools Interoperability Framework (SIF) structure which supports the reporting of both student and staffing data to the Department's data collection systems in near-real time.
For the purposes of this document the below term describing the data transmission via SIF that will be used is:
- Vertical SIF Implementation - using the SIF protocol to move state-required data from the district to the Department.
All participating RTTT districts indicating they would or will be implementing SIF in year 4 and have not received supplemental funds in their RTTT allocation grant application are eligible to apply. This includes:
- Districts that have not received funding through previous Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems (SLDS) federal grants.
Vertical SIF Implementation is supported in 3 ways:
- Race to the Top - Vertical SIF Implementation RFP:
- RTTT allocation for supplemental SIF support ( Fund Code 204)
(The percentage of funding available through this RFP (option #1 above) is based on each district's total RTTT allocation grant according to the below table. Funding will be based on the SIF specific expenses that are outlined in the "Fund Use" section.)
- District's RTTT allocation (Fund Code 201).
|Total RTTT allocation||% of total SIF costs covered by this RFP|
|$0 to $24,999||100%|
|$25,000 to $199,999||85%|
|$200,000 to $399,999||60%|
|$400,000 to $999,999||40%|
|$1,000,000 or more||25%|
- District independent funding
Each district must determine their total SIF costs by consulting with its Student Information System (SIS) vendors. The Department is working closely with the SIS vendors to evaluate SIF implementation costs. We strongly encourage you to contact the Department if you need assistance determining your SIF costs.
Specific types of expenses allowed under the following sources:
- Race to the Top - Vertical SIF Implementation (Fund 204)- Funds awarded through this RFP are used to support vertical SIF implementation, including:
- The total cost of SIF Agent cannot exceed $7,500.00. (If not previously funded through a prior year grant)
- District independent funding - expenses NOT covered by either this RFP or the district's RTTT allocation grant include:
- Vendor consulting services that are included in the cost of the SIF agents;
- Purchase of equipment used for systems not involving SIF transfer;
- Stipends for staff not working on SIF related activities; and
- Expenses in excess of district's RTTT allocation.
On behalf of the applying district, the grant recipient assures the Department the following:
- Grant recipients must send a minimum of 1 technical staff person per district to the SIF training sessions.
- Grant recipients must send at least 1 staff member to participate in each grantee meeting.
- Grant recipients are responsible for ongoing expenses related to the SIF server and agents as appropriate upon completion of the grant.
- Grant recipients shall provide the Department and/or the state SIF vendor with access to personnel and SIF agent as necessary to SIF implementation
|Project Duration:||Upon Approval - 09/23/2014|
|Program Unit:||Education Data Services|
|Phone Number:||(781) 338-6838|
|Date Due:||This non-competitive grant has a submission date of Thursday, September 23, 2014. Note that response to the district will occur 2 weeks after the submission date. Applications must be received by the Department no later than 5:00 pm on September 23, 2014.|
Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
Part II - Budget Detail Pages (Include both pages and give detail for each line item)
Part III - Required Program Information
Statement of Assurances
Signed cost sheets from SIS vendors for agent expenses.
Letters of commitment from SIS and Vendors.
Separate Signed letter from the District Superintendent agreeing to all of the Assurances in this RFP as outline in the Assurances section above.
Prior to developing proposals for this program, districts should refer to the following items:
- Participate in an on-boarding webinar when made available if you haven't done so already
- Please refer to SIF webpage for information on the SIF Project.
||Submit two (2) sets, each with an original signature of the Superintendent/Executive Director|
Education Data Services
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street 3rd Floor
Malden, MA 02148-4906