|Purpose:||The purpose of this funding opportunity is to provide additional training seats to Level 2 Race to the Top (RTTT) districts that are participating in the RTTT project 4D: pre-AP teacher training program. By applying for this funding opportunity, LEAs are committing to use these funds to enroll additional teachers in pre-AP training provided by Mass Insight Education (MIE) or the National Math Science Initiative (NMSI), the two vendors designated for this project for the summer of 2014 (FY15). These funds must be used to fund additional teachers in pre-AP professional development in the summer of 2014, and will allow districts to pay for pre-AP teacher training seats and to pay for reasonable costs associated with the training such as stipends for trainings and/or travel.|
The intent of the pre-AP teacher training program is to provide training and technical assistance for middle and high school teacher teams to improve teaching strategies and to increase content rigor in English/language arts, mathematics, and science and technology so as to:
- Ensure more equitable access to AP and other high level coursework for low-income and minority students and an increase in the proportion of high school graduates prepared to enroll and succeed in credit-bearing coursework in college.
- Increase the proportion of low-income and minority students prepared to participate in and succeed in mathematics, science, and English AP courses or other rigorous programs such as International Baccalaureate (IB), early college, and dual enrollment coursework.
To qualify for these funds a district must meet the following criteria:
- Be identified by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) as a Level 2 district;
- Enrolled teachers for pre-AP teacher training in summer 2014; and
- Show that the number of teachers registered cannot be supported with the funds set aside in the district's RTTT fund code 201 project 4D budget in either FY14 and/or FY15.
|Academy of the Pacific Rim Charter Public School|
|Sabis International Charter School|
Grant awards will be determined by reconciling the submitted Summer 2014 Fund Use workbook with each district's current FY14 and FY15 project 4D budget, which is part of the fund code 201 budget workbook on record with the ESE. ESE will also review previous years' pre-AP teacher training attendance records and current enrollment records supplied by Mass Insight Education (MIE) and National Math Science Initiative (NMSI).
|Funding:||Race to the Top: Pre-AP Level 2Additional Teacher Training Summer 2014 (FY15) Program will be funded from Massachusetts's Race to the Top (RTTT) award. Approximately $154,531 is available. The maximum available for this reimbursement period is up to $10,000 per district.|
||These funds will be able to be used through September 30, 2014 and will support the cost of the summer 2014 training ($1000 per teacher) and up to $600 per teacher stipend to attend the training.|
|Project Duration:||Upon Approval - 09/30/2014|
|Program Unit:||Curriculum and Instruction|
|Phone Number:||(781) 338-3548|
|Date Due:||Friday, July 18, 2014|
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
- Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
- Part II - Budget Detail Pages (Include both pages.)
Part III - Required Program Information
||Email copies of the budget workbook to email@example.com|
Mail 2 copies of the Standard Contract Form, each with an original signature of the Superintendent/Executive Director to:
Science, Technology Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906