Grants and Other Financial Assistance Programs: FY2015
School Breakfast Expansion Project
Fund Code: 550
|Purpose: ||The purpose of the breakfast expansion grant is to encourage eligible schools to develop and implement a model approach to incorporating the new USDA meal plan requirements for the School Breakfast Program (SBP) and increasing participation in the School Breakfast Program over the 2013-2015 school years to attain a 100% increase in student participation by December 30, 2015.|
|Priorities: ||Schools that have 75% of students eligible for free or reduced-priced lunch and have a significant student participation gap between school lunch and breakfast program participation:
- difference of participation in students eligible for free or reduced price meals of greater than 30% throughout the 2012-2013 school year.
|Eligibility: ||School districts with schools that have a School Breakfast Program or desiring to initiate a School Breakfast Program during school years 2013-2015 where 40% percent or more of the lunches served to students were free or reduced price.
|Funding: ||$29,887 is available to support grant awards up to $5,000 per school. ESE will award 5 to 10 competitive grants and offer free SBP professional development to nutrition staff in awarded schools.|
Schools awarded grants will be expected to be compliant with the new meal plan regulations when reviewed in the 2013-2014 school year.
|Fund Use: ||In general, the funds may be used for:
- Analysis of current school breakfast program to:
- Analyze the SBP menu to assess where changes need to be made to comply with new USDA meal plan requirements for reimbursement
- Determine barriers to SBP participation and strategies to overcome them
- Transition to alternate models of delivery such as Breakfast in the Classroom
- Equipment needed to for heating, cooking, holding, serving, and refrigeration of foods used in the SBP
- Outreach, marketing, and education about the new nutritional requirements and benefits, including community and parent outreach
- Communications to promote nutrition and increase awareness of the new meal plan (and/or new breakfast delivery method) changes with all constituents (teachers, students, parents, school staff, custodial staff, etc.)
- Surveys and focus groups with students (6-12) and parents (K-5)
- Taste testing new recipes compliant with the new meal plan with students, teachers, parents
- Investing in transitioning labor costs to change the breakfast delivery method or extending the period SBP is offered during the day
- Extend the period during which school breakfast is available during the day (e.g., staff costs, outreach activity to increase participation, small equipment costs)
- Provide school breakfast to students during the school day
- Overcoming barriers to expanding SBP participation
||Upon Approval to 6/30/2015
|Program Unit: ||Nutrition, Health, and Safety|
|Contacts: ||Kerry Callahan firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-6462|
|Date Due: ||Due date Friday, February 27, 2015|
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
Part II - Budget Detail Pages (Include both pages.)
Part III - Required Program Information
List of Eligible Schools
||Submit three (3) sets, each with an original signature of the Superintendent/Executive Director.
Nutrition, Health and Safety
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906