|Purpose:||The purpose of this grant program is to establish free access to highly effective adult basic education services for eligible undereducated and limited English proficient adults in correctional institutions.|
|Priorities:||The priority is to support educational programs in state and county jails and correctional institutions that:
- provide eligible adult participants with a continuum of high quality instructional and support services below the postsecondary level, from basic literacy or beginning English language proficiency through the skill level expected of a high school graduate;
- provide instructional, advising, and support services based on the needs and assets that have been identified within the institution;
- provide a highly qualified staff who (a) have mastery of the content they teach, (b) are prepared to employ effective teaching methods based on research and evidence based practice, and (c) for ABE instruction are prepared to implement a program wide curriculum aligned with the level-specific standards of the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education.
- provide high quality services of sufficient intensity and duration to be effective in assisting adults to develop the academic and other college and career readiness skills needed achieve their goals within the institution and upon release as family members, workers, community members, and life-long learners;
- serve adults most in need of literacy and English language skills;
- integrate the ABE program with workforce development and other educational services; and
- demonstrate a firm commitment to the continuous improvement of programs and staff.
|Eligibility||Eligible applicants are currently funded recipients.|
|Funding:||See Table 1 - Funding Allocations|
|Fund Use:||Funds must be used for ABE instructional services for incarcerated adults.|
|Project Duration:||Fund Code: 563 7/1/2014 - 6/30/2015|
Fund Code: 285 9/1/2014 - 8/31/2015
|Program Unit:||Adult and Community Learning Services|
|Date Due:||Fund Code: 563 Friday, June 6, 2014|
Fund Code: 285 Thursday, July 31, 2014
Proposals must be received at the Department no later than 3:00 p.m. on the date due.
Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
Part II - Budget Detail Pages (Include both pages.)
Budget and Match Narratives (Narratives designed by applicants.)
Part III - Required Program Information (submit hard copies only)
Statement of Assurances
Letter from Acting ABE State Director
Submission of Proposals and related information
SMARTT Manual - FY2015
Submit two (2) sets of the application each with the original signature in blue ink of the Superintendent/Executive Director/President/Sheriff.
Adult and Community Learning Services
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street 3rdFloor
Malden, MA 02148-4906