|Purpose: ||The purpose of this state-funded Start-Up grant program is to encourage new and existing Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) sponsors to create new sites. The creation of new sites will increase program availability to participants not currently receiving program services.|
||Priorities are to:
*Sponsor ADP is found on the sponsor claim and is calculated based on monthly claim data.
- increase the Average Daily Participation (ADP)*;
- provide nutritious meals to children in the summer months;
- support entities that provide year-round food programs;
- support programs that serve the highest number of eligible children; and
- implement Farm to Summer initiatives at sites by utilizing fresh local produce and incorporating agricultural activities
||The Start-Up grants are available to new or existing SFSP sponsoring agencies that will start new sites. Applicants proposing sites serving a significant low-income population shall receive priority consideration.
- The Sponsor's proposed new food service site(s) will serve a low-income population not previously served in the SFSP and will increase SFSP participation.
- A new site is required in the area because existing sites are over capacity.
- Relocation of a previously participating site to improve access of the SFSP to additional low-income children not served previously.
- Although the site previously participated in SFSP under another sponsor, a change in sponsorship benefits the SFSP operation because:
- a change in sponsorship of the site will improve SFSP services provided;
- the population served will differ under the proposed new sponsorship; and/or
- site operation by proposed new sponsorship will improve the quality of meal service or the effectiveness of site operation and increase the number of low-income students served.
|Funding: ||Approximately $100,000 is available. Funding eligibility will be dependent upon program duration and the projected number of participants to be served daily by the new site, as follows:|
|Up to 100 children||$1,500|
|101 - 200 children||$2,000|
|201 or more children||$2,500|
|Fund Use: ||Applicants may apply for a maximum of $2,500 per newly proposed site. Grants shall be used for costs incurred in the planning and support of effective programs. Goods and services must be delivered by June 30, 2016.|
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval - 6/30/2016|
|Program Unit: ||Office for Nutrition, Health, and Safety Programs|
|Contacts: ||Jane Stoleroff email@example.com|
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-6317|
|Date Due: ||Friday, March 4, 2016|
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
Part I General Program Unit Signature Page (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
Part III Required Program Information
||Submit two (2) sets, each with an original signature of the Superintendent/Executive Director to:
MA Department of Elementary & Secondary Education
Office for Nutrition, Health and Safety Programs
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906
Website URL: Summer Food Service Program