|Purpose: ||The purpose of this grant program is to evaluate the implementation, impact, costs and benefits of programs funded by the Massachusetts state legislature.|
||This grant program was initiated in fiscal year 2016 to study the following state funded programs:
ESE awarded two grants to the American Institutes for Research (AIR) and the University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute to study these programs. The purpose of this funding opportunity is to continue funding these two organizations to complete the evaluations that they initiated last year.
- Academic support (remediation in literacy, mathematics, and science for students at risk of not graduating from high school)
- Educator preparation and licensure
These research projects must analyze the following six areas:
AIR and the Donahue Institute will be required to report on the results of their evaluations to the House and Senate Committees on Ways and Means.
- The quantifiable effect of the program on the population enrolled in the program
- Fidelity of program implementation
- An estimate of the cost to the Commonwealth of the education problem being addressed through the program
- A comparison of the cost of the program and the estimated short-term and long-term benefits received by program recipients through the program
- Data limitations in estimating the effect of the program
- Recommendations for further study
|Eligibility: ||AIR and the Donahue Institute are eligible to receive continuation funding in fiscal year 2017 upon approval of their fiscal year 2017 budgets.|
||$300,000 in total funding was allocated to this program in fiscal year 2016 and each grantee was awarded $150,000 for the two year program period. Upon approval, grantees are eligible to spend the balance of their awards in fiscal year 2017.
Total available funding in fiscal year 2017 is based on the amounts budgeted by each grantee in fiscal year 2016. If additional funds become available after fiscal year 2016 final grant expenditure reporting, grantees will need to amend their fiscal year 2017 grants to add these funds to their budgets.
|Fund Use: ||Funds must be used to support the costs of conducting the proposed research.|
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval to June 30, 2017|
|Program Unit: ||Office of Planning and Research|
|Contact: ||Carrie Conaway|
|Phone Number: ||All inquiries should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Date Due: ||Friday, July 15, 2016|
Each grantee must submit the Standard Contract and Budget Forms reflecting the amount of funding available in fiscal year 2017.
Standard Contract and Budget Forms
||Email a copy of the completed budget workbook to email@example.com and submit two (2) original copies of the signed Standard Contract Form by July 15, 2016. Original forms must be mailed to:
Office of Planning and Research
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906