Grants and Other Financial Assistance Programs: FY2017
Summer Food Service Program: Expansion, Access, Training and Start-Up (SFSP EATS) Grant for New and Existing Sponsors
Fund Code: 542
|Purpose: ||The purpose of this state-funded grant program is to encourage new and existing Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) sponsors to increase participation in the program by serving more children per day, extend the length of the SFSP, and create new sites. The creation of new sites will increase program availability to participants not currently receiving program services.|
||Priorities are to:
*Sponsor ADP is found on the monthly sponsor claim and is calculated based on the monthly claim data. This is a monthly average of daily meals served for a specific meal type.
- increase number of participants by increasing Average Daily Participation (ADP)*:
- involve a range of community members (city government, parks and recreation departments, community agencies, school constituents, students, teachers, administrators, food service staff, and families);
- plan to expand activities at the Food Service site;
- extend the length of the SFSP for the full summer vacation;
- increase the number of days the program is operational; and
- add additional meal services;
- support new sites that will serve a low-income population not previously served in the SFSP;
- support programs that serve the highest number of eligible children
- implement Farm to Summer initiatives at sites by utilizing fresh local produce and incorporating agricultural activities;
- provide nutritious meals to children with increased offerings of fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains in the meal service;
- provide training to site supervisors;
- support School Food Authorities (SFA) that offer school breakfast and after school snack programs during the academic year (high priority); and
- equip sites with resources, materials and supplies to sustain feeding sites.
|Eligibility: ||New and existing Summer Food Service Program sponsors including School Food Authorities, government and community-based organizations may apply. Applicants proposing sites serving a significant low-income population shall receive priority consideration.|
|Funding: ||Approximately $433,462 is available. The funds are prioritized for new and existing sponsors with sites located in the vicinity of districts with a minimum of 50% of students who are eligible for free or reduced price meals. Existing sponsors must request funding using the highest ADP figure from last summer's sponsor claims. New SFSP sponsors must make a reasonable estimate of ADP.|
**Existing Sponsors: Use month with highest ADP from previous summer's claims.
|Previous Summer Average Daily Participation of Children**:||Apply for Up to:|
*** New Sponsors: approximate monthly ADP by dividing the estimated total number of meals to be served in a month for the busiest meal service type by the total days of operation for that month. Please contact ESE for further instructions.
||Grant award shall be used for costs associated with the planning of effective programs. Funds shall be used to design and support a project that will extend your program through the entire summer vacation period, expand sustainable participation in the summer feeding program and start-up new sites.|
Funds may be used for, but not limited to:
Provide detailed justification of need for equipment costing more than $5,000. This may be subject to approval pending review. Goods and services must be delivered by June 30, 2017.
- outreach expenses
- hiring an outreach intern
- marketing or publicizing availability of SFSP
- activities /disposables to promote participation in SFSP
- Training for site supervisors
- Purchase of equipment necessary for safe food handling, operational supplies and incentives
- Purchase resources to support Farm to Summer
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval - 6/30/2017|
|Program Unit: ||Office for Food and Nutrition Programs|
|Contacts: ||Jane Stoleroff|
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-6317|
|Date Due: ||Thursday, March 16, 2017|
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
Part I General Program Unit Signature Page (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
Part III Required Program Information
||Email one (1) complete set of all required forms, in their original Word or Excel formats (i.e., not converted to a PDF), and email one scanned version of Part I form (in PDF format) with an original signature to email@example.com. (Email must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on the date due, Thursday, March 16, 2017.)
Website URL: Summer Food Service Program