Grant Allocations & Awards: FY2017
Fund Code: 647-B1
Massachusetts 21st Century Community Learning Centers - Supporting Additional Learning Time (for new ELT and OST sites)
|Funds Allocated:||$2,656,050 (Federal)|
|Purpose: The purpose of this competitive grant program is to support the implementation of a longer school day/year (referred to as Expanded Learning Time or ELT) and/or out-of-school time (OST) programming. Supported with federal funds, these opportunities will help to close proficiency gaps, increase student engagement, support social and emotional learning, and promote college and career readiness and success. Funded activities include:
- Using more time to implement teaching and learning strategies that are multi-disciplinary and support core subject areas, including service-learning (SL) and project-based learning (PBL).
- Using more time to provide creative and innovative enrichment programming that supports students in all developmental areas (academic, social/emotional, civic engagement, wellness, etc.).
- Using more time to provide additional opportunities for adults (including school staff, program providers and partners) to participate in collaborative planning and professional development that supports desired student outcomes.
- Building strong school-community partnerships and engaging families to support student outcomes in all developmental areas as described above.
- Developing sustainable models for providing additional quality learning time.
Funding priority was given to applicants that:
Funding priority was also given to applicants proposing OST that:
- Have not received 21st CCLC funding within at least the past three years fiscal years (FY)14-FY16.
Funding priority was also given to applicants proposing ELT that applied:
- To add time at a middle school.
- To implement an expanded school calendar.
- To implement a blended learning educational model.
- To implement a teacher career ladder model.
- To implement SL and/or PBL during core academic time.
- A creative schedule that includes opportunities for enrichment that are not just at the end of the school day.
|Number of Proposals Received:||ELT: 6 (for 12 schools)|
OST: 38 (for 52 schools/sites)
|Number of Proposals Recommended:||ELT: 2 (for 3 schools)|
OST: 13 (for 13 schools/sites)
|Number of Proposals Not Recommended:||ELT: 4 (for 9 schools)|
OST: 25 (for 39 schools/sites)
|Result of Funding: This funding will support 15 districts/agencies to implement ELT and/or OST programs and activities at 16 schools/sites. This programming will provide students with additional engaging core content instruction, project-based and or service-learning experiences, and opportunities for academic enrichment. In addition, funds will support training, planning and professional development for adults to make better use of time with students and maximize student outcomes. These programs will also engage with various community partners to support students' learning, and social/emotional and physical development. Approximately 3,000 students will benefit from programs and services supported through this funding. Grant awards range from $125,000 to $715,600.|
|Athol Area YMCA (OST Athol Community Elementary School)||$145,000|
|Brockton Public Schools (OST Downey Elementary School)||125,000|
|Community Day Care Center of Lawrence, Inc. (OST John K. Tarbox School)||145,000|
|Fall River Public Schools (OST Mary L. Fonseca Elementary School)||125,000|
|Fitchburg Public Schools (OST South Street Elementary)||125,000|
|For Kids Only Afterschool (OST Frank M. Sokolowski School, Chelsea)||145,000|
|Haverhill Public Schools (OST John Greenleaf Whittier Middle School)||145,000|
|Holyoke Public Schools (ELT Kelly Full Service Community School)||195,450|
|Lowell Public Schools (OST Abraham Lincoln Elementary School)||125,000|
|New Bedford Public Schools [ELT Hayden McFadden Elementary($330,600); ELT Normandin Middle School ($385,000)]||715,600|
|Pittsfield Public Schools (OST Morningside Community School)||125,000|
|Salem Public School (OST Horace Mann Laboratory School)||125,000|
|The Collaborative for Educational Services (OST Easthampton High School)||145,000|
|Wareham Public Schools (OST Wareham High School)||145,000|
|Worcester Public Schools (OST Burncoat Middle School)||125,000|
|Total Federal Funds||$2,656,050|