Schools statewide are recognized as Commendation Schools when they exit NCLB accountability status, exhibit high growth on MCAS, or narrow gaps in subgroups. The purpose of this grant is to fund regional efforts to identify and document effective practices from Commendations Schools, and disseminate those practices to Level 3 schools.
The grant program will help fund:
Grantees will be expected to:
- Rewards for Title I Commendations Schools for rapid improvement gains and narrowing achievement gaps (required activity);
- Regional efforts to identify, document (i.e., collect evidence), and analyze effective practices aligned to the ESE's Conditions for School Effectiveness used at Title I Commendation Schools;
- Development of plans to support the dissemination and/or implementation of documented effective practices in the region's districts and schools, particularly in Level 3 districts/schools; and
- Implementation of documented best practices in Level 3 schools in region.
- Develop regional partnerships which, at a minimum, must include one Commendation School, one Level 3 school, and the regional DSAC. Partnerships may include educational collaboratives or other consultants.
- Work in partnership with the regional District and School Assistance Center (DSAC) to facilitate professional learning across the partnership and region.
- Use one or more ESE tools and/or approaches described in DSAC Foundational Services (Learning Walkthroughs; CSE Self-assessment; Characteristics of a Standards-Based Classroom; Networks; Study Groups). (Some Level 3 districts have already developed expertise with DSAC tools and services that can inform the regional partnership.)
- Participate (one or more representatives) in a statewide network of regional partnership coordinators. Plans should include attendance at network meetings on a monthly basis.
- Agree to take part in a dissemination study, which shall be conducted by an independent organization and may include focus groups and/or interviews, surveys, and observations of meetings and classrooms.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to develop regional partnerships that:
- Include multiple Title I Commendation Schools
- Include multiple Level 3 schools
- Focus on developing or increasing the effectiveness of tiered systems of support
Districts may apply on behalf of partnerships that include Level 1, Level 2, or Level 3 Title I schools. Partnerships must include at least one Commendation School, at least one Level 3 school, and the regional DSAC. Partnerships may include educational collaboratives or other consultants. |
Up to $500,000 is available through Federal Title I School Improvement funds. Awards are expected to range from $10,000 to $75,000. |
|Fund Use: ||
Title I School Improvement Funds (Fund Code 321) must be used to support improvement initiatives in Title I schools. All funds from this source must be attributed to Title I schools (a separate worksheet is included in the budget workbook for this purpose). Funds must supplement, and not supplant, non-federal funds that would otherwise be used for activities authorized under this grant.
Funds may be use for:
Travel and mileage
Materials and supplies
Funds may not be used to provide refreshments.
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval - 8/31/2012|
|Program Unit: ||School Improvement Grant Programs and Regional System of Support|
|Contact: ||Programmatic content: Amanda Trainor Atrainor@doe.mass.edu |
|Phone Number: ||Programmatic content: (781) 338-3551|
|Date Due: ||
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5 p.m. on Friday, February 17, 2012. |
|Required Forms: ||
To apply for funding, submit a grant application that includes all of the required forms.
- Part I and II - Electronic Budget Workbook (includes the Standard Contract and Application for Program Grants and Budget Detail Pages): Fund Code 321: District and School Assistance Grant for Title I Eligible Schools.
- Part III Required Information Plan for Title I Commendation Schools Regional Dissemination Grant Fund Use. Applicants will use this form to provide a narrative describing how grant funds will be used, their rationale for using funds in this way, and their plans for supporting ongoing grant-funded activities and initiatives once the grant ends.
- Schedule C: Statement of Participation and Support, and Agreement to Participate in a Dissemination Study. All participants in the regional partnership will use this form to indicate commitment to participate in and support the partnership. (The Schedule C form is included in the Part III Workbook.)
|Additional Information: ||
Appendix A: DSAC Foundational Services|
Appendix B: List of Title I Commendation Schools, including reason for designation
Appendix C: List of Level 3 Schools
|Webinar: || An informational Webinar to support grant applicants will be held on Thursday, January 26 at 10:30 a.m. For Webinar participation details, contact Amanda Trainor Atrainor@doe.mass.edu. |
|Submission Instructions: ||
Mail 2 copies of Signature Page with the original signature of the Superintendent to:
Office for the Regional System of Support
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906
Email the Budget Workbook and required program information to: