The 2011 Level 3 District and School Assistance Grants supported district and school activities taking place through August 31, 2011. Many ESE-approved DSAC summer 2011 mathematics and literacy courses, however, included embedded fall/winter follow-up sessions scheduled on or after 9/1/11.
The Level 3 District and School Assistance Follow-up Grants are intended to encourage and support teacher participation in fall/winter follow-up sessions to DSAC summer mathematics and literacy courses in order to extend the impact of that professional development.
|Eligibility: ||This grant is funded by Title I School Improvement funds, which must be used to support improvement initiatives in Title I schools in federal No Child Left Behind accountability status (in improvement, corrective action, and/or restructuring).
Districts must meetall of the following criteria in order to be eligible to apply for these funds:
- The district was eligible for DSAC services in 2010-2011 (i.e., Level 3 districts and the Level 4 districts of Gill-Montague, Randolph, and Southbridge)
- Teachers participated in DSAC summer mathematics and literacy courses with fall/winter follow-up sessions scheduled to take place on or after 9/1/11. (Appendix 1 lists all ESE-approved DSAC courses with fall/winter follow-up sessions; Appendix 2 lists districts that purchased spaces in courses with fall/winter follow-up sessions.)
- Teachers supported by these funds must:
- have completed the summer portion of the course,and
- currently be teaching in Title I schools in NCLB status (i.e., improvement, corrective action, or restructuring)
Up to $175,000 is available through Federal Title I School Improvement funds.
Although It is anticipated that district grant requests will be fully funded, actual awards will depend upon the total amounts requested.|
|Fund Use: ||
Title I School Improvement Funds (Fund Code: 323-C). All funds must be specifically attributed to Title I schools in NCLB status (a special worksheet for allocating funds to individual schools is included in the budget workbook for this purpose). Funds must supplement, and not supplant, non-federal funds that would otherwise be used for activities authorized under this grant.
Funds may be used for the following:
Funds may not be used to provide refreshments.
- Stipends for educators to participate in follow-up sessions for ESE-approved professional development in literacy or mathematics courses scheduled on or after 9/1/11 that take place beyond contractual hours;
- Payment for substitutes while teachers participate in follow-up sessions for ESE-approved professional development in literacy or mathematics courses scheduled on or after 9/1/11;
- In-state travel and mileage associated with attendance at follow-up sessions.
|Project Duration: ||9/1/2011 - 8 /31/2012|
|Program Unit: ||School Improvement Grant Programs and Regional System of Support|
|Contact: ||Amanda Trainoratrainor@doe.mass.edu|
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-3551|
|Date Due: ||
Friday, September 30, 2011.
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due. If your district is applying for funds to support participation in follow-up sessions taking place in September 2011, you should submit your completed grant application at least10 business days before the follow-up session is scheduled to take place.
|Required Forms: ||To apply for funding, submit a grant application that includes all of the following required forms:
- Part I and II - Electronic Budget Workbook (includes the Standard Contract and Application for Program Grants and Budget Detail Pages).
- Level 3 District and School Assistance Follow-up Grant WorksheetDistricts will use this required worksheet to list the number of educators in each course for which it is applying for follow-up funds.
|Additional Information: ||
- Appendix 1:ESE-approved Summer DSAC Courses with Fall/Winter Follow-up Sessions.
- Appendix 2:Districts Purchasing Seats in One or More ESE-approved DSAC Courses with Fall/Winter Follow-up Sessions.
|Submission Instructions: ||Mail 2 copies of Signature Page with the original signature of the Superintendent to:
Office for the Regional System of Support
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906
Email the Budget Workbook and required program information to: