Grants and Other Financial Assistance Programs: FY2012
Race to the Top: Pre-AP Teacher Training Level 3 District FY11 Reimbursement
Fund Code: 328
The purpose of this grant program is to reimburse Level 3 districts that used Race to the Top (RTTT) Project 4D (from Fund Code 201) in FY11 to participate in pre-AP teacher training through MMSI. The grant will also to provide additional support to pre-AP teacher training and vertical team activities. By applying for this grant, districts are committing to use these funds to support pre-AP training through RTTT in FY12-FY13. This reimbursement must be used to increase the capacity of teachers trained in pre-AP professional development, including to pay for pre-AP teacher training seats and/or to pay for reasonable costs associated with the training such as stipends for trainings and vertical team meetings, substitutes, travel, and allowable supplies and materials. Participating Level 3 districts should account for this reimbursement when planning their Years 2-4 RTTT budget. |
- Ensure more equitable access to AP and other high level coursework for low-income and minority students and an increase in the proportion of high school graduates prepared to enroll and succeed in credit-bearing coursework in college.
- Increase the proportion of low-income and minority students prepared to participate in and succeed in mathematics, science, and English AP courses or other rigorous programs such as International Baccalaureate (IB), early college, and dual enrollment coursework.
|Eligibility: || Level 3 districts that used RTTT Project 4D (from Fund Code 201) in FY11 to participate in pre-AP teacher training through MMSI and are continuing participation in project 4D in FY12 can respond to this RFP to receive a reimbursement of up to 40% of their cost of training and implementing vertical teams. Refunds will be based on prior year costs of RTTT initiative 4D.To qualify for this reimbursement a district must meet the following criteria:
- Be identified by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) as a Level 3 district in FY10 and/or FY11;
- Submitted a budget and narrative for RTTT Project 4D for Years 1-3 in at least one content area (ELA, mathematics, or science);
- Funded all or part of Project 4D through fund code 201;
- Sent a vertical team of teachers representing middle school and high school teachers for each selected content area to the 4 day summer 2011 pre-AP middle and high school teacher training provided by Mass Insight Education (MMSI Advancing College Readiness) OR attempted to send a vertical team of middle and high school teachers, but due to MMSI training cancelations some portion of the team was unable to attend training in year 1; and
- Received an invoice from MMSI for services rendered by August 31, 2011.
|Funding: || The RTTT Project 4D Pre-AP Teacher Training Program will be funded from Massachusetts' Race to the Top (RTTT) award. $1.092 million is available for the initiative over a four year period. Eligible districts may apply for up to $140,000 over a four year period. The maximum available for FY11 Reimbursement is $45,000 per district. |
|Fund Use: || This reimbursement must be used to increase the capacity of teachers trained in pre-AP teacher training: Costs associated with pre-AP professional development, including pre-AP teacher training costs and reasonable costs associated with the training and vertical team meetings of trained teachers such as stipends, substitutes, travel, and allowable supplies and materials. Funds awarded will cover up to 40% of the Level 3 district's FY11 pre-AP teacher training and implementation costs.
Note: districts are not allowed to allocate costs from this reimbursement for the following purposes:
- For teacher and student incentives related to pre-AP and AP® courses and exams.
- To purchase student AP® curriculum, tests, or pre-AP curriculum such as Springboard®
- To purchase classroom supplies and materials. The purchase of supplies and materials is limited for the purpose of the teacher professional development; not for student or classroom supplies and materials.
- For AP® teacher training or AP®-related programs.
- For pre-AP teacher training through any other vendor except Mass Insight Education (MMSI- Advancing College Readiness Program)
- For any other RTTT initiative.
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval - 8/31/2012 for FY11 reimbursements. Reimbursements for FY12, FY13, and FY14 will be contingent upon spending of RTTT 4D funds in these years. |
|Program Unit: ||Science, Technology Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)|
|Contact: ||Roxane Johnson De Lear - email address: email@example.com|
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-3546|
|Date Due: ||Thursday, March 15, 2012|
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
|Required Forms: ||
Part I & Part II- Standard Contract Form and Budget workbook that includes a plan for refund use in FY12
Part III - Required Program Information
|Additional Information: || N/A|
|Submission Instructions: || Email copies of the budget workbook, letter of agreement, and invoice to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail 2 copies of the Standard Contract Form, each with an original signature of the Superintendent/Executive Director to:
Roxane Johnson De Lear
Science, Technology Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906