The purpose of this competitive grant is to improve career and technical education programs in rural districts. The grant will assist rural districts that will not be recipients of Carl D. Perkins Career & Technical Education Improvement Act (Perkins IV) allocation funds due to minimum dollar amount requirements and/or lack of personnel and resources needed to form or join a consortium in order to prepare a Local Plan.|
|Priorities: ||The priority is to improve programs that meet the Perkins IV definition of career and technical education.|
|Eligibility: ||In order to apply for a grant, districts must meet all three (3) of the following criteria:
- The district or high school must be defined as rural in the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). To determine rural status, go to the NCES website. Districts may contact Karen DeCoster (see contact information below) if they wish to make certain they are eligible to apply.
- The high school must have student enrollment in Data Element DOE035
(Career/Vocational Technical Education) in the Student Information Management System (SIMS) for 2010-2011.
- The district will not have a Perkins Act Local Plan for 2011-2012.
|Funding: ||Districts may apply for one grant of up to $15,000. Perkins IV is the funding source.|
|Fund Use: ||Proposed uses of funds must be consistent with at least some of the Nine Required Uses of Perkins IV Allocation Grant Funds described in the Massachusetts Perkins IV Manual . Funds shall supplement, and shall not supplant, non-Federal funds.|
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval - 8/31/2012|
|Program Unit: ||Office for Career/Vocational Technical Education|
|Contact: ||Karen DeCosterkdecoster@doe.mass.edu|
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-3115|
|Date Due: ||Friday, October 7, 2011.|
Competitive proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
|Required Forms: ||
- Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
- Part II Budget Detail Pages (Include both pages.) -Instructions
- Budget Narrative (developed by applicants) (see Part III, 4)
- Part III - Required Program Information
- Assurances Document (developed by applicants) (see Part III, 6)
Standard Contract Forms and Applications for Program Grants can legally claim expenses to the grant only from the date of final Department approval.
- Budget Detail - Description of Line Item Information
- Education Department General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR)
- Grants for Schools: Getting Them and Using Them, A Procedural Manual
- Massachusetts Perkins IV Manual
- OMB Circular A - 87
- Perkins IV
|Submission Instructions: ||
Submit four(4) sets of the Required Forms. Part I must bear an original signature of the Superintendent.|
Office for Career/Vocational Technical Education
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906
It is recommended that if the proposal is hand delivered, a time stamped receipt be obtained.