|Purpose: ||The Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act of 2006 P.L. 109-270 (Perkins IV) requires comprehensive professional development programs for educators in career/vocational technical education. The Department seeks to continue its funding of the partnership established between school districts with Chapter 74-approved vocational technical education programs and the Massachusetts Association of Vocational Administrators to provide high-quality, intensive, and focused professional development for aspiring leaders in career/vocational technical education Perkins Leadership Academy One.|
The goals of Perkins Leadership Academy One 2011-2012 are to:
- enhance career/vocational technical education for students including those in special populations;
- create a network of educators in career/vocational technical education in order to share resources and provide mentoring and support within the network throughout their careers;
- prepare educators for initial vocational technical administrator licensure and leadership positions in career/vocational technical education.
- Provide (for each individual selected for participation) an administrative apprenticeship/internship (300 hours) in the vocational technical superintendent/assistant superintendent role, or the vocational technical principal/assistant principal role, or the vocational technical supervisor/director role with an appropriately licensed and qualified trained mentor based on the Professional Standards for Administrators contained in the Regulations for Educator Licensure and Preparation Program Approval 603 CMR 7.00 and the Professional Standards for Vocational Technical Administrators contained in the Vocational Technical Education Regulations 603 CMR 4.00.
- Provide high quality, intensive, and focused seminars in conjunction with the administrative apprenticeship/internship in order to reinforce the knowledge and skills to be acquired during the administrative apprenticeship/internship.
- Provide for the development of a leadership portfolio by each participant.
- Provide for the documentation of Perkins Leadership Academy One 2011-2012 outcomes.
|Eligibility: ||The partnership that was funded for 2010-2011 is eligible to respond to this RFP. The school district that served as the lead agency in 2010-2011 in the partnership will serve as the lead agency for 2011-2012.|
|Funding: ||One grant will be awarded to the partnership at a maximum of $20,000. The grant may be renewable for additional fiscal years based upon performance and availability of funds. Perkins IV is the funding source.|
|Fund Use: ||Funds must be used in accordance with Perkins IV and may be used to provide salaries and benefits for a coordinator, support staff, consultants/lecturers, travel, supplies, computer resources, printing, and facility rental. Funds may not be used to supplant local or state funds or to pay for lodging. Funds shallsupplement, and shallnot supplant, non-Federal funds.|
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval - 8/31/2012|
|Program Unit: ||Office for Career/Vocational Technical Education|
|Contact: ||Margie Robertsmroberts@doe.mass.edu|
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-3951|
|Due Date: ||A rolling submission periodhas been established for submission of the Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants. In order to be reasonably assured that funds will be available by the beginning of the college/school year, the Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants should be submitted by September 20, 2011.|
|Required Forms: ||
- Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
- Part II Budget Detail Pages (Include both pages.) -Instructions
- Part III - Required Program Information
Standard Contract Forms and Applications for Program Grants can legally claim expenses to the grant only from the date of final Department approval.
- Budget Detail - Description of Line Item Information
- Education Department General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR)
- Grants for Schools: Getting Them and Using Them, A Procedural Manual
- Massachusetts Perkins IV Manual
- OMB Circular A - 87
- Perkins IV
|Submission Instructions: ||Submit three (3) sets of the Required Forms. Part I must bear an original signature of the Superintendent of the district that will serve as the lead agency.|
Office for Career/Vocational Technical Education
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906