The purpose of this state-funded grant program is to enable Massachusetts Community Colleges in coordination with designated Community Adult Learning Centers in their catchment areas to provide programs that transition successfully adult learners into post-secondary education. Adult Basic Education (ABE) Transition to Community Colleges Programs are defined as follows:
- a system of linkages, resources, services, information, instructional practices, and curricula that supports and assists the transition of adult learners into appropriate community college post-secondary opportunities, including higher level developmental education courses, post-secondary vocational certificate programs, and/or Associate's Degree programs;
- a program design that is based on a cohort model as the most effective way to provide the required services; and
- a program that ensures the full integration and participation of the transitioning students into the college community.
Priorities for this program are to:
- support programs that enable the development and/or continuation of a community college's institutional capacity to enroll and retain former ABE students;
- strengthen the link between Department-funded Community Adult Learning Centers and community colleges;
- promote and support systemic changes within Community Adult Learning Centers' programs and the community colleges to enable them to develop cooperatively the institutional capacity and infrastructure that ensures students possess the foundation skills and abilities necessary to participate in college life and complete college level certificate or degree courses; and
- provide support and counseling to ensure that students can function successfully in key areas such as: time management; independent study; and financial awareness at the community college or in other post-secondary education programs.
|Eligibility: ||Eligible applicants are the community colleges funded in FY2011.|
See Table 1 - Funding Allocations (Subject to appropriation of adequate federal and state funds.)|
|Fund Use: ||Funds must be used for transition services that are designed in accordance with the Guidelines for Effective Transition to Community College Programs.|
|Project Duration: ||
7/1/2011 - 6/30/2012|
(Subject to appropriation of adequate federal and state funds.)
|Program Unit: ||Adult and Community Learning Services|
|Contact: ||Cheryl Pyburncpyburn@doe.mass.edu|
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-3876|
|Date Due: ||
Thursday, May 12, 2011|
Proposals must be received at the Department no later than 4:00 p.m. on the date due.
|Required Forms: ||
- Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
- Part II Budget Detail Pages (Include both pages.) -Instructions
- Budget Narrative (Narrative designed by applicants.)
- Part III - Required Program Information
- Statement of Assurances
- Schedule B - Cost Sharing or Matching Schedule
|Additional Information: ||
Guidelines for Effective ABE Transition to Community College Programs
Note:Due to pending changes in the ESE Grants Management system, applicants may have to resubmit these and other pages in a new online form. In that case, ESE will provide training to successful applicants on the resubmission process.
|Submission Instructions: ||
Submit two (2) sets of the proposal, with an original signature of the Community College President (in blue ink) on two sets.
Adult and Community Learning Services
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street 3rdFloor
Malden, MA 02148-4906