Grants and Other Financial Assistance Programs: FY2013
Expanded Learning Time Enhancement Grant
Fund Code: 225-B
|Purpose: ||The purpose of this state-funded enhancement grant is to provide a supplemental opportunity for schools currently receiving a Massachusetts ELT Grant to support participation in select training and/or professional development sessions on service-learning and/or supporting the academic and social/emotional development of English Language Learners, including family engagement strategies.
Implementing effective teaching and learning strategies and activities that contribute to improvement in student achievement and instructional practices are essential to the foundational design of Expanded Learning Time (ELT). This grant will fund efforts that support teacher leadership and enhance instructional practices.
|Priorities: ||The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (Department's) ability to achieve its mission depends on the quality of our public school districts and other schools and partners, who educate the children of the Commonwealth. The state's ELT grant programs serve to strengthen capacity by supporting implementation of the Department's District Standards and Indicators and Department Priorities for increasing student performance.
In particular, this grant is intended to provide support related to these District Standards and Indicators: Curriculum & Instruction, Human Resources and Professional Development, and Student Support. In addition, grant activities will help to advance the Department's Priorities of: Curriculum & Instruction, Educator Effectiveness, and Success After High School.
UPDATED 12/17/12. The total amount available was not requested by all eligible schools by the original deadline of November 21, 2012. Funding in the amount of $51,800 is available to all eligible applicants. Proposals will be awarded funding on the date received, if all requirements are met in the application, until all available funds are distributed.
This grant supports participation in select Department-sponsored training and/or professional development sessions and supplemental professional development activities that advance the above described standards and priorities.
UPDATED 12/17/12: Applicants may propose to participate in any or all of the following: Department sponsored offerings or propose supplemental professional development offerings related to service-learning or serving English language learners and/or supplemental professional development activities that support school/district goals or improvement plans. Professional Development Points (PDPs) or Certificates of Participation are available upon request for participants fulfilling associated requirements.
- Service-Learning: These sessions will focus on strategies for effectively implementing classroom-based service-learning that connects student learning in core subject areas to hands-on, meaningful service projects in communities.
Teachers may attend a two-day Service-Learning Planning and Implementation session. Teachers may select from the following three options:
- December 4 and 5, 2012 (all grade focus);
- December 11 and 12, 2012 (focus on PK-3); or
- January 29 and 30, 2013 (STEM focus).
Additional teachers may attend a four-day Summer Institute on Service-Learning. More information on this training will be provided in the spring 2013.
Schools may choose to send teachers to the training as well as the summer institute, but should send different teachers to each, as the trainings cover the same basic content, but with different areas of focus.
These sessions will be sponsored by the Department and led by KIDS Consortium, Inc.
- Supporting English Language Learners (ELL): UPDATE 12/17/12: This training has already taken place. This one-day session will focus on supporting the academic and social/emotional development of ELL students, including family engagement strategies. It is designed for educators who do not have extensive training on serving ELL students and who will not be participating this year (FY2013) in the Department's Rethinking Equity and Teaching for English Language Learners (RETELL) trainings.
This session will be sponsored by the Department and led by Development Without Limits.
- Participants in any of the Department sponsored sessions are expected to:
- Disseminate information and strategies learned with others in the school's community.
- Develop and implement one or more service-learning projects and/or activities/strategies to support ELL students. A pre-project plan and a post-project summary narrative will be required.
|Eligibility: ||Districts awarded FY2013 Expanded Learning Time Implementation Grants through Fund Codes 225 (Non-Competitive) and 225-A (Competitive) are eligible to apply for this enhancement grant, for participation of any or all of their schools funded through the Fund Code 225/225A ELT grants. |
|Funding: ||A grant of up to $4,000 is available per eligible school. |
Note: Awards will be made on a first come first serve basis until funding is expended.
UPDATED 12/17/12: For proposals received after December 17, 2013, a total of approximately $51,800 is available for this purpose.
|Fund Use: ||Funds may be used for the following:
NOTE: All of these activities and expenditures must occur before June 30, 2013.
- Travel to attend the trainings associated with this grant;
- Substitute teachers who cover for teachers attending these trainings and/or participating in subsequent project planning;
- Stipends for teachers for additional collaboration/planning time;
- Supplemental professional development activities related to service-learning, serving students who are English language learners, and/or supplemental professional development activities that support school/district goals or improvement plans
- Supply costs related to implementing service-learning projects, activities targeting ELL populations, and/or supply costs related to implementing supplemental professional development trainings that support school/district goals; and
- Additional related expenses, upon approval.
|Project Duration: ||Upon Approval - 06/30/2013|
|Program Unit: ||Office of Charter Schools and School Redesign|
|Contact: || Moira Connolly email address: email@example.com|
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-3216|
|Date Due: ||Submissions will be reviewed and approved on a rolling basis, and will be accepted through Friday, February, 2013. Districts will be notified when all available funding has been awarded. |
All proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00pm on the date due.
|Required Forms: ||
- Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
- Part II Workbook - Budget (II-A) and Budget Narrative (II-B)*
Submit one Budget/Budget Narrative per district. (Print and mail with the application all four budget and budget narrative pages. Also email the workbook to firstname.lastname@example.org. See important opening instructions below.
- Part III - Required Program Information
- Grant Assurances (one per school, signed by principal)
*Note: The Budget and Budget Narrative Workbook is a Microsoft Excel file which includes macros that enable the workbook to compute totals and summary tables.
For Microsoft Office 2000/2003, you may need to change the security setting in Excel before opening the file. In Excel, click 'Tools', 'Macro', and then 'Security'. When the dialog box appears, change the security setting to 'Medium' and then click 'OK'. You can now open the budget file.
For Microsoft Office 2007, you must save the workbook as an earlier version of Excel (.xls not .xlsx).
|Submission Instructions: || Email the Part II Budget/Budget Narrative to: email@example.com. |
Please submit one Part II Budget/Budget Narrative per district.
Submit two (2) sets of all required forms noted in the Required Forms section above. All Part I and Grant Assurances pages should have original signatures of the Superintendent and Principal, respectively.
Office of Charter Schools and School Redesign
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906