|Purpose: ||The purpose of this federal grant program is to provide funding for Local Education Agencies (LEAs) to implement School Redesign Plans that are built on one of four federally defined school intervention models-Turnaround, Restart, Transformation, or Closure (see "Four Federal School Intervention Models" in additional information below) at the state's persistently lowest-achieving schools. |
|Priorities: ||The priority is to continue funding LEAs and schools that show progress towards meeting established goals and benchmarks established in the original grant proposal. |
|Eligibility: ||All LEAs with one or more schools that received SRG funding in FY13 are eligible to apply for continuation of funding for the second or third year of implementation in FY14. |
|Funding: ||Based on a combination of Massachusetts' federal School Redesign Grant (SRG) allocation and funds allocated through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), LEAs awarded Year 1 or Year 2 SRG funding from July 1, 2012 through August 31, 2013 are eligible to apply for funds for Year 2 or Year 3, respectively, of the original three-year award. Award amounts that differ from the originally projected total must be accompanied by a compelling rationale and evidence and must align with the priorities and strategies outlined in the Renewal Application. A detailed FY2014 budget is required; Cohort III schools must also include non-binding estimates for FY2015. The original three-year award total cannot be increased. |
|Fund Use: ||Fund use must be consistent with applicable state and federal requirements. All expenditures must closely align with the implementation of the Redesign Plan and the selected intervention model. LEA-level expenditures, if applicable, must directly support the implementation of the selected intervention models at identified schools.|
All expenditures will be closely reviewed as they relate to the priorities of this grant opportunity.
- Contract buyouts
- Capital expenses
- Purchase of technology, computer software or hardware, unless a compelling case can be made for how these materials are necessary to implement fully the proposed intervention
|Project Duration: ||FY2014 School Redesign Activities/Funding: 9/1/2013 - 8/31/2014|
FY2015 is contingent upon annual renewal of the grant.
|Program Unit: ||Office of District and School Turnaround|
|Contacts: ||Erica Champagne (781) 338-3521|
|Date Due: Full Grant Proposal||Wednesday, April 10, 2013.|
Renewal Applications must be received at the Department by 12:00 p.m. on the date due.
|Other Key Information: ||The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education intends to announce awards of these grants on or around May 17, 2013. |
|Required Documents: ||
- FY14 SRG Renewal Application Directions
- FY14 SRG Renewal Application: School Submission
- FY14 SRG Renewal Application: District Submission
- FY14 SRG Renewal Application: Budget Workbook for Year 2 Renewal
- FY14 SRG Renewal Application: Budget Workbook for Year 3 Renewal
- Assurances and Waivers
|Additional Information: ||
- FY14 SRG Renewal Application for Schools Changing to Restart Model
- Summary of Four Required Federal Intervention Models
- Final Federal Requirements for School Turnaround Grants
- Federal LEA Guidance
|Submission Instructions: || Mail or hand-deliver:
- four (4) hard copies of School Submission for each school (double-sided if possible)
- four (4) hard copies of the District Submission
- four (4) hard copies of Budget Workbook (double-sided if possible)
- one (1) hard copy with original superintendent signature of the Cover Page contained within the Budget Workbook
- and one (1) hard copy with original superintendent signature of the Assurances and Waivers page to:
Office of District and School Turnaround
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906
These documents must arrive at the Department no later 12:00 p.m. on April 10, 2013.
An electronic copy of School Submission for each school, District Submission, and Budget Workbook to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All documents submitted electronically must be web accessible. For more information, visit webpage: Preparing an MS OFFICE document for the Web.
These files must arrive at the Department no later 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 10, 2013.