|Purpose: ||The purpose of this federally-funded Massachusetts 21st Century Community Learning Centers (CCLC) Summer Enhancement Grant is to stem summer learning loss by expanding innovative summer learning programs that address both the academic and developmental needs of students. |
- To provide a blended approach of innovative and engaging academic learning and enrichment activities that increase motivation to learn through relevant, hands-on programming. This includes targeted strategies to support reading proficiency by grade 3 and/or successful transition into grade 9.
- To develop strong collaboration and partnerships for planning and implementation in order to align and leverage resources, improve program quality, and develop shared outcomes for success.
- To provide innovative shared professional development opportunities for teachers, administrators, and community based partners.
*Sites that participated in the summer pilot project would be required to offer 50% more time, and serve at least the number of students equal to or greater than those provide/served, compared with the summer of 2010 (prior to the summer pilot).
- Programs must increase the total hours of summer programming offered by at least 50% more time than was provided during the summer of 2013.*
- Option 1 = Adding hours to the day
- Option 2 = Adding weeks to the program schedule
- Option 3 = Combining added time to the day and added weeks to the schedule
- Program must address the academic and social emotional needs of students.
- The number of students served must at least the number served during summer 2013.*
- Students must enroll for the entire length of the program.
- Students must attend on average a minimum of 80% of the total hours offered.
|Eligibility: ||Eligible entities are recipients of a fiscal year 2014 (FY14) Fund Code (FC) 647-A and/or FY14 FC 647-B2 grant that offered a summer program supported with these grant funds in FY13. |
|Funding: || Approximately $255,000 is available. Eligible entities may apply for up to $20,000.|
|Fund Use: ||Funds must be used solely to support the priorities of Summer Enhancement Pilot. Funding must be used to supplement and not supplant other funding and programs |
|Project Duration ||Upon Approval - 8/31/2014 |
|Program Unit: ||Learning Supports and Early Learning (OLSEL) |
|Contact: ||Karyl Resnick firstname.lastname@example.org |
|Phone Number: ||(781) 338-3515 |
|Date Due: ||Friday, April 18, 2014|
Grants will be accepted on a rolling basis up to Friday, April 18, 2014.
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
Proposals will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. Proposals will be awarded funding if all requirements are met and until all available funds are awarded. A message will be posted on the 21st CCLC grants opportunities web page once funding is no longer available.
| Required Forms: ||
- Part I - General - Program Unit Signature Page - (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants)
- Part II Workbook - Budget (II-A) and Budget Narrative (II-B)*
(Print and mail with the proposal all four budget and budget narrative pages. See important opening instructions at the bottom of this section.)*
- Part III - Required Program Information
*Note: The Budget and Budget Narrative Workbook is a Microsoft Excel file which includes macros that enable the workbook to compute totals and summary tables.
For Microsoft Office 2000/2003, you may need to change the security setting in Excel before opening the file. In Excel, click 'Tools', 'Macro', and then 'Security'. When the dialog box appears, change the security setting to 'Medium' and then click 'OK'. You can now open the budget file.
For Microsoft Office 2007, you must save the workbook as an earlier version of Excel (.xls not .xlsx).
|Additional Information: ||In order to stem summer learning loss, funded programs must commit to enrolling students to attend the full day as well as length (number of days and weeks) of the Summer Enhancement Program.|
The district/site must commit to participating in an evaluation component to measure the impact these summer programs have on students.
| Submission Instructions: ||E-mail one (1) complete set of all required documents, in their original Word or Excel formats (e.g., not converted to a PDF), to email@example.com. Note: Signature pages are not required on the emailed versions.
Mail two (2) sets of the Superintendents/Executive Directors signature page at least one of which is clearly marked "ORIGINAL".
Emailed documents must be received by the Department no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 18, 2014. Mailed documents must be postmarked by no later than April 18, 2014.
Karyl Resnick, Coordinator
21st Century Community Learning Centers Program
Massachusetts Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148-4906