Revised Fiscal Year 2013 (FY13) Grantee Eligibility Amounts
Quality Full-Day Kindergarten Grantee Contacts and Superintendents
John L.G. Bynoe, III, Associate Commissioner
December 3, 2012
Please note that we have posted the revised increased amounts for FY2013 Fund Code 701 Quality Full-Day Kindergarten Grantees.
These increases were anticipated in an earlier memo sent to all grantees this August. More specifically, increases were calculated based on the following:
- All grantees' currently funded classes were increased, from the $5K/$10K per class initial FY13 funding levels noted in the Funding Opportunity documents, up to FY12 funding levels ($5,626/$11,252 per class).
- Grantees' currently funded classes that were initially funded at the $5K/class amount increased by $3K/class, in cases where the classes have at least 0.5 FTE Aides.
(Note: There were more classes in this situation than were projected based on previous surveys, so available funds only allowed an increase to $8,626 per class, instead of $11,252.) The amount in this note was corrected on December 18, 2012, and is consistent with the revised grantee totals that were posted and distributed with this memo on December 3.
- Grantees that are Level 3-5 districts had funding increase to enhance the quality in their existing full-day kindergarten classes that were not previously grant funded. (Note: Available funds allowed for $1,500 per class in this situation.)
These additional funds must be used in line with the purpose of the FY13 Fund Code 701 grant and its allowable fund uses. They can be used to supplement existing initiatives, such as professional development, transitions, PK-3 alignment, curriculum and assessment practices, and family engagement related to the district's full-day kindergarten program.
To revise your grant amount on the Department's Grants System, please do the following as soon as possible, and by Friday, December 14, 2012 at the latest.
Email the amendment and revised budget pages (links below) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 14, 2012. (No signature is required on the emailed version.)
Please also mail three hard copies of the amendment and the revised budget and budget narrative pages, postmarked no later than December 14. Include at least one that has an original signature. Mail to:
Learning Supports and Early Learning (OLSEL), ATTN: Min-hua Chen
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant St.
Malden, MA 02148-4906
Please also remember that anticipated FY14 funding amounts for grants funded through the kindergarten line-item (7030-1002), pending appropriation, will not necessarily be the same as FY13 amounts. As noted in the FY13 Fund Code 701 Funding Opportunity documents, the Department is in process of considering possible funding structure changes for FY14 in line with the priorities noted in the FY2012 Transition to Full-Day Kindergarten Grant (Fund Code 702). The following variables were included in that grant and will be considered as part of the potential restructuring that would place a higher funding priority on districts with the following elements:
- lower Composite Performance Index/Progress and Performance Index (CPI/PPI) data related to the 3rd grade MCAS assessments in English Language Arts and Mathematics;
- higher percentage of low-income students; and
- higher percentages of students who are English language learners.
We will be in communication with more information about considerations for FY14 later this year.
Should you have any questions, please contact your liaison, Min-hua Chen (781-338-6352; email@example.com) or Donna Traynham (781-338-6372; firstname.lastname@example.org), or anyone in the Learning Supports and Early Learning (OLSEL) Unit (781-338-3010; email@example.com).