Education Laws and Regulations
603 CMR 14.00:
Education of English Learners Regulations
|14.01: ||Authority, Scope and Purpose|
|14.02:||Identification and Assessment of Students|
|14.04:||Placement of Students with Parental Waivers|
|14.05:||English Literacy and Fluency Requirements for Teachers of English Language Classrooms|
|14.06:||Parental Right of Enforcement|
|14.07:||Assignment of English Learners to Teachers in School Districts|
|View All Sections|
14.05: English Literacy and Fluency Requirements for Teachers of English Language Classrooms
(1) School district superintendents shall provide annually to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education a written assurance that teachers of English language classrooms, as that term is defined in M.G.L. c. 71A, are literate and fluent in English.
(2) For purposes of the assurance required by 603 CMR 14.05(1), a teacher is literate in English if the teacher:
- (a) possesses a teaching license issued pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71, § 38G; or,
- (b) possesses a vocational teacher approval or a vocational technical educator license; or,
- (c) earns a passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills portion of the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure; or,
- (d) possesses a bachelor's degree from a college or university where the language of instruction was English.
(3) For purposes of the assurance required by 603 CMR 14.05(1), a teacher's fluency in English shall be determined through one or more of the following methods:
- (a) classroom observation and assessment by the teacher's supervisor, principal, or superintendent; or
- (b) an interview and assessment by the teacher's supervisor, principal or superintendent; or
- (c) the teacher's demonstration of fluency in English through a test accepted by the Commissioner of Education; or
- (d) another method determined by the superintendent and accepted by the Commissioner.
M.G.L. c. 69, § 1B; c. 69, §§ 1J and 1K, as amended by St. 2010, c. 12, § 3; c. 71, § 38G.