Education Laws and Regulations
603 CMR 3.00:
Private Occupational Schools
As used in 603 CMR 3.00, the terms listed below shall have the following meanings:
- Commissioner. The Commissioner of Education of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or his designee.
- Department. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Instructional Hour or Clock Hour. A period of 50-60 minutes in length, during which an instructor or teacher is present and interacting with students.
- Registered School. A private business school charging not more than $250.00 in tuition per student in a 12 month period.
- Sales Representative. A person who solicits enrollments of prospective students, at their places of residence within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, regardless of the location of the school.
- School. A private business school as defined by M.G.L. c. 75D, § 1, a private trade school as defined by M.G.L. c. 93, § 21A, or correspondence school as defined by M.G.L. c. 75C, § 1. This term does not include seminars.
- Seminar. Short term training of no more than 15 hours duration, not scheduled in a regular calendar format, and offered as introduction or orientation to an occupation or as advanced level training to those already engaged in a business or trade.
- Surety. A bond with surety, or an irrevocable letter of credit payable to the Commonwealth as beneficiary, or a term deposit account payable to the Commonwealth, Commissioner of Education, to be held in trust for the benefit of students.
603 CMR 3.00: M.G.L. c. 75C, § 7; c. 75D, § 8 and c. 93, § 21B.