Education Laws and Regulations
603 CMR 3.00:
Private Occupational Schools
3.15: Qualifications for Instructors
(1) Prior to employment a school shall obtain the Department's approval of all candidates for teaching positions. Schools shall submit to the Department an application for approval of each teacher.
(2) Instructors shall have specific qualifications as follows:
- (a) Business Programs and Academic Programs.
- 1. Bachelor's degree with a major or minor in the subject area to be taught; or
- 2. Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts and four years documented work experience in the occupational area to be taught; or
- 3. A combination of education and work experience acceptable to the Department.
- (b) Allied Health Programs.
- 1. A bachelor's degree in the subject area and two years recent occupational experience in the specialty to be taught; or
- 2. A combination of education and work experience acceptable to the Department
- (c) Modeling and Related Programs.
- 1. High school diploma plus certificate from a licensed school of modeling, and two years work experience; or
- 2. High school diploma, plus three years work experience; or
- 3. A combination of education and work experience acceptable by the Department.
- (d) Trade and Technical Programs.
- 1. High school diploma plus four years recent employment experience; or
- 2. Diploma or certificate from a postsecondary trade or technical school plus two years work experience; or
- 3. A combination of education and experience acceptable to the Department.
(3) A teacher of an occupation that requires its practitioners to be licensed shall be so licensed.
(4) All teachers shall be of sound moral character.
(5) In cases of emergency, a school may employ an unapproved teacher as a substitute for up to ten school days. A school shall obtain approval from the Department to employ an unapproved teacher as a substitute for more than ten school days.
(6) The Department has the right to revoke instructor approval at any time for reasonable cause.
603 CMR 3.00: M.G.L. c. 75C, § 7; c. 75D, § 8 and c. 93, § 21B.