603 CMR 7.00:
Educator Licensure and Preparation Program Approval Regulations
- 7.01: Purpose
- 7.02: Definitions
- 7.03: Educator Preparation Program Approval
- 7.04: Types of Educator Licenses, Requirements for Licensure, Licenses Issued, and Requirements for Field-Based Experience
- 7.05: Routes to an Initial Teacher License and Specialist Teacher Licenses
- 7.06: Subject Matter Knowledge Requirements for Teachers
- 7.07: Specialist Teacher Licenses
- 7.08: Professional Standards for Teachers
- 7.09: Licenses and Routes for Administrators
- 7.10: Professional Standards for Administrative Leadership
- 7.11: Professional Support Personnel Licenses
- 7.12: Standards for Induction Programs for Teachers
- 7.13: Standards for Induction Programs for Administrators
- 7.14: Endorsements
- 7.15: General Provisions
- View All Sections
Most recently amended by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education: June 26, 2018
7.12: Standards for Induction Programs for Teachers
Application. All school districts are required to provide an induction program for teachers in their first year of practice. Guidelines based on the following Standards will be provided by the Department.
. All induction programs shall meet the following requirements:
An orientation program for beginning teachers and all other incoming teachers.
Assignment of all beginning teachers to a trained mentor within the first two weeks of teaching.
Assignment of a support team that shall consist of, but not be limited to, the mentor and an administrator qualified to evaluate teachers.
Release time for the mentor and beginning teacher to engage in regular classroom observations and other mentoring activities.
. All programs shall submit an annual report to the Department that includes information on:
Number and complete list of beginning teachers served.
Number and complete list of trained mentors.
Number of classroom observations made by mentors.
Number of hours that mentors and beginning teachers spend with each other.
Hiring and retention rates for beginning teachers.
Partnerships developed with other districts, professional associations, and institutions of higher education to support the beginning teacher induction program.
M.G.L. c. 69, § 1B; c. 69, §§ 1J and 1K, as amended by St. 2010; c. 12, § 3; c. 71, §§ 38G, 38G ½; c. 71A, § 10; c. 76, § 19.
For an official copy of these regulations, please contact the State House Bookstore, at 617-727-2834 or visit Massachusetts State Bookstore.