Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System
Information on Assessable Standards for Grade 10 Mathematics MCAS Transition
In the MA 2000 mathematics framework, the grade 9-10 standards are organized by strands:
- Number Sense and Operations
- Patterns, Relations and Algebra
- Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability
Prior to 2013, each of the strands in the 2000 framework corresponded to one reporting category on the grade 10 mathematics MCAS test.
In the MA 2011 mathematics framework, the high school standards are organized by conceptual categories:
- Number and Quantity
- Statistics and Probability
Table 1 illustrates how the five conceptual categories listed above from the 2011 framework are organized into reporting categories and how they compare to the reporting categories from the 2000 framework. The column called "Blueprint %" indicates the proportion of the total number of points on the mathematics MCAS test that are from each reporting category.
Table 1: Comparison of reporting categories from the 2011 framework and the 2000 framework for the grade 10 mathematics MCAS test.
|Reporting Categories from 2011 framework||Blueprint %||Reporting Categories from 2000 framework|
|Number & Quantity||20%||Number Sense & Operations|
|Algebra & Functions||30%||Patterns, Relations & Algebra|
|Statistics & Probability||20%||Data Analysis, Statistics & Probability|
Important points to note from table 1:
- The conceptual categories of Algebra and Functions from the 2011 framework have been combined into the single reporting category "Algebra & Functions." This reporting category contains the same content as the "Patterns, Relations, and Algebra" reporting category from the 2000 framework, and continues to comprise 30% of the points on the grade 10 mathematics MCAS test.
- The conceptual category Geometry from the 2011 framework includes the content from both the "Geometry" and the "Measurement" reporting categories from the 2000 framework. The new "Geometry" reporting category comprises 30% of the points on the grade 10 mathematics MCAS test.
Table 2: Standards from the MA 2011 mathematics framework that are assessable on the grade 10 mathematics MCAS tests *Only the content of these standards that matches content from the 2000 grade 9-10 standards will be assessed on the grade 10 mathematics MCAS tests.
|Reporting Category||Number & |
Table 3: Standards from the MA 2000 mathematics framework that were assessed on the grade 10 mathematics MCAS tests prior to 2013. * The content of these standards that matches content in the 2011 framework will continue to be assessed on the grade 10 mathematics MCAS tests.
|Reporting Category||Number Sense &|
Additional information on the list of standards assessable on the MCAS.