McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act
The Office for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth
We work to ensure the enrollment, attendance and the opportunity to succeed in school for homeless children and youth. We provide technical assistance and guidance to school districts and families. This Office collaborates with other state agencies and community providers to support homeless families and their students. Questions regarding the Massachusetts implementation of McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act and/or individual cases are always accepted.
Homeless Education Liaison
Sarah Slautterback, State Coordinator
Phone Number: 781-338-6330
Elizabeth Harris, Student Support
Phone Number: 781-338-6310
- Homelessness and Title I
- Advisory 2002 - 1: Definitions;
- Advisory 2002 - 2: Enrollment of Homeless Students and School Records;
- Advisory 2002 - 3: School Selection and Transportation Requirements for Homeless Students;
- Advisory 2002 - 4: Homeless Students' Access to Child Nutrition Programs;
- Advisory 2003 - 5: Title I and Homeless Students;
- Advisory 2003 - 6: Serving Homeless Preschool Children;
- Advisory 2003 - 7: McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Dispute Resolution Process;
- Advisory 2003 - 7A: School District Notification of Enrollment Decision;
- Advisory 2003 - 7B: Appeal of School District Notification of Enrollment Decision.
- Advisory 2004 - 8: Unaccompanied Youth, and
- Advisory 2015 - 9: Children and Youth in State Care or Custody
- Advisory 2007 - 10: Clarifying the Provision of Transportation Requirements for Homeless Students 2002 - 3
- ESE Homeless Education Guidance 2013
- Massachusetts Caregivers Affidavit
- US Department of Agriculture Guidance for Homeless Children in School Nutrition Programs
Funding is available to school districts with significant numbers of homeless students and can be used to provide tutoring and academic support, professional development, engagement of homeless parents in their children's education, and access to mentoring, after school and summer programming. The current RFP for this grant provides further details.
For New Homeless Education Liaisons
We are glad you have found us and look forward to working with you. The following Power Point presentation was used at the October 2014 New Homeless Liaison Orientation Sessions.
2015 Orientation to Homeless Education
The learning continues with each new homeless case. Please feel free to contact the Office for assistance if you have questions or to introduce yourself. Even the most experienced liaisons find it helpful to talk over a case from time to time!
Upcoming Trainings, Meetings & Orientations
McKinney-Vento Webinar: Overview of McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Under ESSA
McKinney-Vento Summary 2010 to 2015
ESE Guidance on Data Collection
2013 Youth Risk Behavior Survey Summary on Massachusetts homeless students
2011 Youth Risk Behavior Survey Summary on Massachusetts homeless students
2009 Youth Risk Behavior Survey Summary on Massachusetts homeless students
2007 Youth Risk Behavior Survey Summary on Massachusetts homeless students
A Snapshot of Homelessness in Massachusetts Public Schools: 2005 Massachusetts Youth Risk Behavior Survey and Massachusetts Annual Homeless Enrollment Data
Promoting Educational Stability For DCF Involved Children and Families