McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act
Homeless Education Guidance for Entering McKinney-Vento Homeless Student Data
This guidance is intended to provide Homeless Education Liaisons and data collection staff assigned the McKinney-Vento (McK-V) data collection role with information regarding the yearly McKinney-Vento homeless student data collection effort.
Districts are able to begin entering homeless student data at the beginning of the school year; generally early September.
- Data should be entered either at the time a homeless student is enrolled, or when the district staff learns that an already enrolled student has become homeless.
- However, the amount of data to be entered and the resources needed to complete this task will also drive the frequency of data entry.
- Only students enrolled in the district should be entered (do not enter a student who is sheltered in the district but is transported to his/her school of origin in another district).
Accessing the McK-V security portal:
You must be assigned the Homeless Student Application role by the school district's Directory Administrator. See http://www.doe.mass.edu/infoservices/data/diradmin/ for further information.
Entering Data in the Homeless Student Application:
The staff member who is assigned the data role needs the following information to complete the homeless data entry task, the homeless student's:
- SASID number;
- Grade; and
- Primary Night Time Residence -
- Choices are:
- Doubled-up (sharing the housing of others due to loss housing, economic hardship),
- Unaccompanied youth;
- Unsheltered (cars, parks, campgrounds, abandoned buildings, and substandard/inadequate housing);
- Hotels/motels; or
- Awaiting foster care (e.g. DCF emergency, temporary, transitional placements).
- The Primary Night Time Residence determination is made at the point in time when the student is identified as homeless and should not be updated. We are not asking districts to "track" the changes in housing status.
- Do not delete students if they become permanently housed. The data collection effort needs to be a cumulative record of all homeless students enrolled in the district for any given school year.
- McKinney-Vento Funding, yes/no, is only for those districts who receive funds through a McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Grant.
Once a student is entered:
The data entry person has access to two functions:
- Edit - To be used to correct a data entry error, for example, should numbers in the SASID identifier be transposed.
- Delete - To be used only if a student is erroneously entered.
To Close out the school year:
The Certify/Submit function is enabled when it is time to close out the data entry for a school year; generally in June. This function allows districts to review/certify the accuracy of the data and finalize/submit it.
- Once the data has been Certified /Submitted, no more students can be entered. Should the Certify/Submit function be erroneously engaged, please contact us and we will manually reverse the designation.
- A district that has not enrolled or identified any homeless students must still Certify/Submit its data, and by doing so, certifies that no homeless students were enrolled.
- Once the school year closes, the data is erased. Therefore, students whose homelessness spans school years must be reentered in the subsequent school year, i.e. a student homeless in June needs to be reentered in September if that student remains homeless, with their new grade and Primary Night Time Residence.
- Districts no longer need to enter the district's share of the transportation costs associated with transporting homeless children - that cost will be collected by School Finance to determine a district's reimbursement.
Should you have further questions on submitting data please contact:
Sarah Slautterback, State Coordinator