|For Immediate Release|
|Wednesday, October 20, 2004|
|Contact:||Heidi B. Perlman 781-338-3106|
Founders Of Five Proposed Charter Schools Invited To Submit Full Application
MALDEN - Founders of five of the eight proposed charter schools submitted for consideration this year have been invited to submit a final application for their school. The final applications are due on Nov. 15, 2004.
The final application process includes a rigorous review of the written final application by a review team, an interview of the applicant group by the Department's Charter School Office staff, and a review of any public comments offered to the Department either in writing or at public hearings on charter applications.
The Board of Education will vote to grant new charters in February, 2005.
The proposed schools invited to submit full applications are:
- Fall River Maritime Charter Public School, serving grades 5-8 in Fall River. Enrollment at full capacity: 80
- Hampden Regional Charter School, serving students in grades K-8 from Chicopee, Springfield and West Springfield. Enrollment at full capacity: 744
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Charter School of Excellence, serving grades K-5 in Springfield. Enrollment at full capacity: 360
- Phoenix Charter Academy, an ungraded high school serving students from Chelsea, Revere and Lynn. Enrollment at full capacity: 210
- Worcester Regional Charter School, serving students in grades K-8 from Worcester, Auburn and Leicester. Enrollment at full capacity: 744
For more information on these proposed charter schools, look online at www.doe.mass.edu/charter.