Soliciting Promising Parent/Family and Community Involvement Practices
|To:||Superintendents, Charter School Leaders, and Collaboratives|
|From:||David P. Driscoll, Commissioner of Education|
|Date:||April 30, 2007|
This memorandum is an invitation to submit information regarding promising programs or practices that include parent/family and/or community involvement. These submissions will be reviewed for possible posting and distribution in an updated supplement to the information collected in school year 2004-2005, which is posted to http://www.doe.mass.edu/boe/sac/parent/.
I am requesting this information in partnership with the Parent and Community Education and Involvement (PCEI) Advisory Council to the Board of Education, a council that is committed to helping Massachusetts's schools, families, and community members work together to help improve student achievement. We are aware that many school districts in the state are already implementing innovative and creative programs and strategies. Your response to this request can help us identify and share information about these promising practices so that school districts throughout the Commonwealth can benefit from your experience.
We are inviting you to answer the questions on the next page. You can identify one or more practices or models that you use in your district, school, or collaborative to facilitate involvement and/or a specific program. Please provide any information you feel is pertinent. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
and Contact Person Name/title/address/phone/e-mail:
- Name of program/model (a way to identify the program in a few words).
- What age group of students is the program/model intended to benefit
(e.g., elementary, high school, etc.)?
- What group(s) are you involving (e.g., parents, grandparents, business leaders, etc.)?
- In what ways (if any) do you encourage and/or facilitate participation of culturally and linguistically diverse community members?
- Description of the Model/Program.
- How long has the model/program been in place and in which schools?
- In what ways do you think the model/program has been effective?
- If available, please provide further documentation of your model/program (e.g., manual, website, brochure, etc.).
Please send responses and questions by Tuesday, June 26, 2007 to:
Eileen Robinson, Academic Support Liaison and liaison to the PCEI
via email: email@example.com,
via mail: 350 Main Street Malden, MA 02148,
or via phone: 781-338-6246.