|For Immediate Release|
|Thursday, November 19, 2009|
|Contact:||Heidi Guarino 781-338-3106 or JC Considine 781-338-3112|
Charter School Public Hearings Scheduled
5 Hearings Set To Hear Comment on 7 Proposed Charter Schools
MALDEN - Five public hearings have been scheduled across the state, to allow members of the community to comment on the seven charter school proposals being considered for the 2009-2010 application cycle.
Over the next four months the seven finalists invited to submit a full application for a Massachusetts charter school will undergo a rigorous review process. Written comment may be submitted through Monday, January 4, 2010 to: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Charter School Office, 75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148 or by email to email@example.com.
The hearings will all be held from 4-6 p.m. on the following dates:
Tuesday, Dec. 1: Greenfield Youth Center,
20 Sanderson Street, Greenfield, MA 01301
Thursday, Dec. 3: Worcester State College, Eager Lecture Hall, 486 Chandler Street, Worcester, MA 01602
Tuesday, Dec. 8: Lenox Town Hall Community Center, 65 Walker Street, Lenox, MA 01240
Thursday, Dec.10: Lynn Housing Authority Community Room, 10 Church Street, Lynn, MA 01902
Monday, Dec. 14th: Thomas Crane Public Library Meeting Room, 40 Washington Street, Quincy MA 02169
The Board of Elementary and Secondary Education will vote to grant new charters at their February meeting. The seven finalists under consideration are:
- Discovery Charter School of Sustainability, serving students in grades K-6 in Conway, Deerfield, Erving, Gill-Montague, Greenfield, Hawlemont, Leveret, Mohawk, Orange, Pioneer Valley, Rowe, Shutesbury, Sunderland, and Whately. Maximum enrollment: 264.
- Hanlin International Academy Charter School, serving students in grades 6-12 in Quincy. Maximum enrollment: 308.
- Housatonic River Charter School, serving students in grades 7-12 in Berkshire Hills, Lee, Lenox, and Southern Berkshire. Maximum enrollment: 180.
- Leaders of Tomorrow Charter Public School, serving students in grades 6-8 in Worcester. Maximum enrollment: 270.
- Lynn Preparatory School, serving students in grades K-8 in Lynn. Maximum enrollment: 250.
- Road to Success Charter High School, serving students in grades 9-12 in Lynn, Peabody, and Salem. Maximum enrollment: 400.
- Spirit of Knowledge Academy Charter School, serving students in grades 7-12 in Worcester. Maximum enrollment: 275.
There are currently 62 operational charter schools in Massachusetts, including 55 Commonwealth and 7 Horace Mann charter schools. As of the start of the 2009-2010 school year, nearly 24,066 students were on charter school waiting lists.