ACCESS for ELLs
ELL Assessment Update: Back-to-School 2013-2014
|To:||Principals and District English Language Learner (ELL) Program Directors|
|From:||Dan Wiener, Administrator of Inclusive Assessment|
|Date:||September 11, 2013|
Greetings and welcome back to another school year! I am providing you with important information on upcoming activities related to ACCESS for ELLs testing and support documents that have been prepared.
2013-2014 ACCESS for ELLs Test Administration Dates:
|Schools order test materials||October 28-November 15, 2013|
|Materials arrive in schools||January 3, 2014|
|Test administration window||January 9-February 12, 2014|
|Last date for schools to ship test materials||February 14, 2014|
School and District Test Coordinator Fall Training Sessions
Training for school and district ACCESS for ELLs test coordinators will be offered on October 10 and 11. Two-hour sessions will be offered as follows:
- Face-to-face sessions: October 10 at 9:00-11:00 a.m. and 1:00-3:00 p.m.; and October 11 at 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- Live webinar: October 11 at 1:00-3:00 p.m. (unlimited number of participants)
Topics will include:
- test administration scheduling, testing procedures, and materials handling
- review of testing policies, and introduction of new procedures for the 2013-2014 school year
Note: These training sessions are intended only for test coordinators in schools and/or districts.
Register for a face-to-face session at http://www.doe.mass.edu/conference/?ConferenceID=1641.
Register for the webinar at http://www.doe.mass.edu/conference/?ConferenceID=1642.
Important Information for 2014 ACCESS for ELLs Test Administrator Training
- Mandatory Online Training/Retraining and Certification for Test Administrators
Certification (and re-certification, for last year's test administrators) is required for all 2014 test administrators. Prospective test administrators must participate in online training modules for the ACCESS tests they plan to administer, and must pass all applicable quizzes with a score of at least 80%, prior to administering the 2014 ACCESS for ELLs. Information about online training and certification will be provided in the Principal's Pre-Administration Manual: ACCESS for ELLs Tasks to be Completed in Fall 2013, available in late September.
Data Posted on 2013 Results
The following data either have been posted, or will be posted soon, to the Security Portal, as indicated below. District directory administrators can provide access to district or school level data as assigned by the superintendent.
|Data||Where Posted||When Posted|
|Student roster with "Making Progress" indicator (PDF)||DropBox Central||Available Now|
|Student data file with "Making Progress" indicator (Excel and CSV)||DropBox Central||Available Now|
|Student roster (interactive)||Edwin Analytics||Early October|
|Summary of district/school proficiency levels (interactive)||Edwin Analytics||Early October|
The data in DropBox Central are located in the "ACCESS Data 2013" folder. These files have been updated and overwrite the preliminary results posted in the same drop boxes last May.
Alternate ACCESS for ELLs (Grades 1-12)
The Alternate ACCESS for ELLs will be implemented statewide in the 2013-2014 school year for ELL students in grades 1-12 with severe disabilities. Please see the Requirements for the Participation of English Language Learners in ACCESS for ELLs and MCAS (2013-2014 Update) for details.
- The 2013 ACCESS for ELLs Statewide Results, providing an overview of state-level results on the 2013 ACCESS for ELLs tests, will be available soon at www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/access/.
- Transitional Guidance on Identification, Assessment, Placement and Reclassification of English Language Learners, which updates the publication entitled Guidance on Using MEPA Results to Plan Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) Instruction and Make Reclassification Decisions for Limited English Proficient (LEP) Students (September 2009), will be available soon at www.doe.mass.edu/ell/guidance_laws.html.
- The Principal's Pre-Administration Manual: ACCESS for ELLs Tasks to be Completed in Fall 2013 will be available soon at www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/access/.
WIDA 2013 National Conference - October 17-19
Visit the WIDA conference website at http://www.widaconference.us for more information.
If you have further questions, please contact Paulette Watson at email@example.com or 781-338-3625.
Thank you for your attention to this information.