|For Immediate Release|
|Wednesday, August 21, 2002|
|Contact:||Heidi B. Perlman 781-338-3106|
Massachusetts Students Bring Home Medals at 2002 SkillsUSA - VICAChampionships
Malden - Students from the Massachusetts SkillsUSA-VICA brought home a record number of medals from the 2002 SkillsUSA-VICA Championships held this summer in Kansas City, Missouri.
Massachusetts SkillsUSA -VICA high school competitors were awarded the highest number of gold medals in the secondary division. In addition to the 9 gold medal that they brought home, 6 students were awarded silver medals, while another 6 brought home the bronze. Massachusetts was also one of the top 5 states competing in the most events, and placed in 21 contests.
"I am proud of the accomplishments of each and every one of these students," said Education Commissioner David Driscoll. "Their commitment to their education and their trades is exceptional and well-deserving of this recognition."
Massachusetts SkillsUSA-VICA is a state association of national SkillsUSA-VICA, an organization serving more than 250,000 high school and college students and professionals enrolled in training programs in technical, skilled, and service occupations.
SkillsUSA-VICA provides quality education experiences for students in leadership, teamwork, citizenship and character development. It builds and reinforces self-confidence, work attitudes and communications skills, and emphasizes total quality at work, high ethical standards, superior work skills, life-long education and pride in the dignity of work. SkillsUSA-VICA also promotes understanding of the free enterprise system and involvement in community service activities.
Massachusetts SkillsUSA-VICA programs include local and state competitions in which students demonstrate occupational and leadership skills. During the annual State Leadership & Skills Conference, more than 1,500 students compete in 71 occupational and leadership skill areas. Gold medalists from our state proceeded to join more than 4,000 students in the annual national-level SkillsUSA Championships in June.
The 2002 Massachusetts SkillsUSA-VICA Championship Medalists include:
- Automated Manufacturing Technology - Shane Naughton, Kevin Poette, Keith Roy, McCann Technical High School, North Adams
- Commercial Baking, Postsecondary - Jane Tang, Minuteman Regional High School, Lexington
- Graphic Communications - Emily Bawn, Minuteman Regional High School, Lexington
- Medical Assisting - Tiffany Pina, Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School, New Bedford
- Nail Care - Heather Black, Jessica Walsh, Upper Cape Regional , Bourne
- Robotics and Automation Technology - Michael Kelley, Ben Perry, Minuteman Regional High School, Lexington
- Sheet Metal - Daniel Levesque, Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School, Fall River
- Tech Prep Showcase - Renee Boisvert, Jared Langlais, Robert Paquette, Greater Lowell Technical High School, Tyngsboro
- Tech Prep Showcase - Alison Ciccariello, Stephanie Lazott, Christopher Magner, Shawsheen Tech High School, Billerica
- Basic Health Care Skills - Stephanie Fisler, Blue Hills Regional Technical School, Canton
- Community Service - Fernando Collazo, Liedy Gil, Greater Lawrence Technical School, Andover
- Dental Assisting, Postsecondary - Lisa MacLeod, Cape Cod Tech, Regional Technical High School, Harwich
- Food & Beverage Service - Krista Thompson - Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School, Upton
- Major Appliance Technology - Benjamin Medeiros, Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School, New Bedford
- Principles of Technology - Erik Siggelkoe, Tri-County Regional Vocational Technical School, Franklin
- Medical Assisting, Postsecondary - Anne-Marie Dexter, Southeastern Technical High School, South Easton
- Nurse Assisting - Shannon Humphrey, Blue Hills Regional Technical School, Canton
- Practical Nursing - Kate O'Loughlin, Blue Hills Regional Technical School, Canton
- Preschool Teaching Assistant - Kelly Kuhn, Plymouth South High School, Plymouth
- TeamWorks - Gary Kady, James Sadusky, Phillip Smith, Aaron Young, Bay Path Regional Vocational Technical High School, Charlton
- Tech Prep Showcase - Nicole Primrose, Jennifer Russell, Peter vonStelzer, Cape Cod Tech, Regional Technical High School, Harwich
For more information on the Massachusetts SkillsUSA-VICA check their Web site at www.maskillsusa.org.