Guidance for Implementing IDEA 2004
Key Points for IDEA-2004:
- Required Team Membership
- The following membership roles must be filled at Team meetings:
- Parent(s) of the student with a disability;
- The student with a disability, when appropriate;
- Not less than one general education teacher (if the child is, or may be, participating in the regular education environment);
- Not less than one special education teacher;
- A representative of the Local Education Agency (LEA) who has the authority to commit resources
- An individual who can interpret evaluation results; and
- At the parent or agency's discretion, other individuals who have knowledge of the student.
- Implementation Guidance:
- Team Members may fill multiple roles at the meeting. (For example, the special education teacher may also be able to interpret evaluation results.)
- Attendance not Necessary
- A required member of the IEP Team (by role) does not have to attend an IEP meeting, in whole or in part, if the parent(s) and the LEA agree in writing that the Team member's attendance is unnecessary because the member's area of curriculum or related services is not being modified or discussed.
- When the IEP meeting involves a modification or discussion of a required Team member's area of curriculum or related services (by role, most likely the general educator or the special educator), that member may be excused, in whole or in part, only if:
- The parent(s) and the district representative agree to the excusal in writing; and
- The individual who is filling that role submits written input into the development of the IEP to the parent(s) and IEP Team prior to the meeting.
- Team meetings and amendments to the IEP
- In making changes to a student's IEP after the annual meeting, the parent and district may agree not to convene a meeting, and instead, develop a written document to amend or modify the student's IEP.
- Upon request, parents shall be provided with a revised copy of the IEP with amendments incorporated.
- Alternative means of participation for Team meetings
- Parents and the district may agree to use alternative means of participation, such as video conferencing and conference calls, to conduct the Team meeting.