Administrative Advisory SPED 2011-2
Amendments to the State Special Education Regulations - 603 CMR 28.00
|To:||Administrators of Special Education and Other Interested Parties|
|From:||Marcia Mittnacht, State Director of Special Education|
|Date:||June 1, 2011|
On April 27, 2011, the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education adopted amendments to the Massachusetts Special Education Regulations at 603 CMR 28.00. These amendments were effective as of May 27, 2011. The amendments:
- update our state special education regulations to be consistent with the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act regulations on revocation of consent by parents (see §§28.07 and 28.08(3);
- reflect that the Bureau of Special Education Appeals is now a part of the Division of Administration Law Appeals (see §28.08(3));
- implement policy and strengthen interpretation services for students who are Deaf or hard of hearing by requiring registration with the Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (see §28.02(18));
- clarify assignment of district responsibility for certain eligible students in institutional settings (see §§28.06(9) and 28.10(3)); and
- make various technical changes such as updating the names of state agencies, including the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, and clarifying the time period for a district's response to a parent's request for an independent evaluation (see §28.04(5)(d)).
The updated regulations, including all amendments, are posted on the Department's website at 603 CMR 28.00: Special Education and may be downloaded or printed directly from the website at any time. Additionally, the Department is printing copies of the revised regulations and will distribute three (3) printed copies to each school district during the summer. Additional single printed copies may be obtained by contacting Lisa Hanafin at 781-338-3375 or email@example.com.