Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme Exam Fee Subsidy Options
|To: ||District Superintendents, Principals, Guidance Counselors, AP Coordinators|
|From: ||Erin Hashimoto-Martell, Director of STEM|
|Date: ||November 6, 2020|
We hope you are well and staying safe during this challenging time. This memorandum serves as a reminder:
For this year, the College Board has waived the $40 per exam cancellation or unused exam fee for any student who decides not to test this year, however, students who do not register for an exam by November 13th, and then decide they want to test after the deadline, will incur the usual $40 late registration fee.
Students may continue to obtain Advanced Placement (AP) exam and International Baccalaureate (IB) fee subsidies for the upcoming spring 2021 exams.
- Title IV, Part A of ESSA: Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grants (Exam Fee: Determined by district)
The U.S. Department of Education's AP Test Fee Program ended on June 30, 2016. However, the AP Test Fee Program was consolidated with many other programs under Title IV, Part A, so that districts may continue to provide AP and IB exam fee reductions for underserved students.
- College Board AP Reduced Exam Fee (Exam Fee: $53)
College Board provides a $33 fee reduction per exam for students with financial need. Schools are expected to forgo their $9 rebate for these students, resulting in a cost of $53 per exam (for AP Seminar or AP Research Exams: $101). You can learn more about the College Board eligibility criteria for AP Exam fee reductions by visiting College Board: AP Exam Fee Reductions. Please note the College Board has different eligibility criteria for AP Exam fee reductions, depending on whether a school or district participates in the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP).
- Fee subsidy applies to: Reduced fee for all low-income students (FRPL)
- Reporting: Schools report directly to College Board
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- State (DESE) AP and IB subsidy: Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grants (Exam Fee: $15)
Low-income students in eligible districts* for additional fee reductions for AP exam and IB exams.
- Fee subsidy applies to: Low-income students in eligible districts* for all AP and IB exams
- Reporting: Schools report AP to College Board; Schools report IB to DESE
- Contact: Meto Raha
- Mass Insight Education (Mi) partner districts (Exam Fee: $15)
Low-income students in Mass Insight Education (Mi) served schools are eligible for fee reductions for AP exams in STEM and ELA subjects under a provision in the state AP STEM and ELA Program.
- Fee subsidy applies to: Low-income students in Mass Insight Education (Mi) served schools for STEM and ELA AP exams
- Reporting: Schools report to Mi. (Mi reports to MA Department of ESE)
- Contact: Mass Insight, Wesley Chin
Thank you for your attention to this matter and for ensuring that all students, especially our traditionally underserved students, have access to rich educational opportunities. If you have any questions about federal funding for AP exam fee reductions, please contact William Bell, Senior Associate Commissioner for Administration and Finance at email@example.com .
List of Eligible Districts* (AP Low-income State Subsidy 2020-2021)
- Argosy Collegiate Charter School (District)
- Bentley Academy Charter School (District)
- Boston Day and Evening Academy Charter (District)
- Boston Green Academy Horace Mann Charter School (District)
- City on a Hill Charter Public School Circuit Street (District)
- City on a Hill Charter Public School New Bedford (District)
- Codman Academy Charter Public (District)
- Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School (District)
- Fall River
- Greater Lowell Regional Vocational Technical
- Greenfield Commonwealth Virtual District
- Libertas Academy Charter School (District)
- New Bedford
- North Adams
- Paulo Freire Social Justice Charter School (District)
- TEC Connections Academy Commonwealth Virtual School District
- UP Academy Charter School of Boston (District)
- UP Academy Charter School of Dorchester (District)
* Eligible districts are those that have one or more school identified as requiring support or assistance as part of our state accountability system (except those that qualify due to low participation only).
Last Updated: November 6, 2020