• At this time, phone service is down at DESE offices. Staff can be reached via email. We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • Stay informed about COVID-19 and the latest health and safety guidance for school districts
  • Office of Educator Licensure

    Professional Support Personnel

    Professional Support Personnel License Types and General Requirements
    Professional Support Personnel License types include, Temporary, Initial, and Professional. This page outlines the general requirements an educator would need to earn each license type.

    Fields and Grade Levels
    The category Professional Support Personnel is comprised of four fields (discipline or subject matter knowledge area within a category) School Guidance Counselor, School Nurse, School Psychologist, and School Social Worker/School Adjustment Counselor. This page lists the specialist teacher licenses broken down by field and grade level.

    General Licensure Components & Requirements
    Every educator license can be broken down by category, field, grade level, and type. This page defines what these are and provides basic guidance on how to identify what the requirements are for the license you want to apply for. To identify the requirements of the educator license you wish to apply for, please use our Licensure Requirements Tool.

    Adding a License
    This page includes information for educators seeking to apply for additional licenses. It provides an overview of the general requirements for adding a license; in a new field, at a new level, or both in a new field and at a new level. It also includes a link to our Competency Review guide.

    Last Updated: December 16, 2021

    Contact Us

    Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
    75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148-4906

    Voice: (781) 338-3000
    TTY: (800) 439-2370


    Disclaimer: A reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.