The regulations and ESE's guidance provide a framework for local evaluation systems. This framework establishes a common structure to promote educators' growth and development for the benefit of all students in Massachusetts. The framework also provides districts with flexibility to align local evaluation systems with priorities that meet the needs of their educators and students.
The following training materials cover the educator evaluation framework that applies to all educators and districts to support continuous growth and improvement. Districts may need to supplement training with additional resources that highlight local priorities.
ESE Training Programs
|Training Modules for Evaluators||Training Workshops for Teachers|
Intended for evaluators and school leadership teams, the training modules are two hours in length with an optional third hour of content.
All modules and more in-depth descriptions are available here.
- Facilitation guides
- PowerPoint presentations
- Interactive learning activities
- Suggested homework assignments
- Module 1: Overview (and 1 hour Overview version)
- Module 2: Unpacking the Rubric
- Module 3: Self-Assessment
- Module 4: S.M.A.R.T. Goals and Educator Plan Development
- Module 5: Gathering Evidence
- Module 6: Observations and Feedback
Intended for teachers, the training workshops are one hour and result in educators developing concrete components of the 5-Step Cycle.
All workshops and more in-depth descriptions are available here.
- Facilitation guides
- Participant handouts
- Workshop 1: Rubric Review
- Workshop 2: Self-Assessment
- Workshop 3: S.M.A.R.T. Goals
- Workshop 4: Gathering Evidence
Additional Training Resources
Special Educator Evaluation: Webinar
This webinar, recorded on 2/26/15, explores some of the unique challenges and opportunities that arise in the evaluation of special education personnel under the Massachusetts Educator Evaluation Framework. Guiding questions include:
- How can the Educator Evaluation Framework support improved services and instruction for students with special education eligibilities?
- How can the Educator Evaluation Framework support the professional growth of special education personnel?
- How can the Educator Evaluation Framework support inclusive educational models for schools and districts?