Office of Student and Family Support (SFS)
|There are no Student and Family Support Headlines at this time|
The Office of Student and Family Support (SFS) works in partnership with educators, schools, students, families, and other agencies and organizations across the Commonwealth to advance the Department's mission. Our programs and initiatives aim to ensure access to high quality and student-centered pre-K-grade 12 education and strengths-based supports.
This work helps further the Department's strategic priorities , including but not limited to supporting social emotional learning, health, and safety .
Examples of SFS program strategies that cultivate student achievement and success include:
- making data-informed decisions to address achievement and proficiency gaps,
- infusing service-learning, multi-disciplinary, and/or meaningful project-based activities into curricula,
- providing professional development and technical assistance for continuous program improvement,
- engaging families/guardians in student learning,
- creating safe and supportive learning environments,
- fostering positive behavioral health,
- supporting smooth transitions between grades and schools, and
- promoting interagency and school/community collaboration.
Unit Programs and Related Initiatives:
The Educational Stability Team works to ensure children and youth who are homeless, in foster care, migrant, or in military families have full access to a consistent public education.
Extended Learning Opportunities
Promoting Adolescent Health through School-Based HIV/STD Prevention and Surveillance
Additional Related Programs & Efforts
For more information on SFS or related programs contact:
Rachelle Engler Bennett, Associate Commissioner
Student and Family Support (SFS)
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street Malden, MA 02148
Phone: 781-338-3010/ Fax: 781-338-3090
Last Updated: January 4, 2020